• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 WTF moment

PSloan

I was disassembling a 67 1600 motor yesterday and something surprised me. The dipstick housing had a huge bracket attached to it. I have to imagine this was for an air pump - but in 1967? AC wasn't an option back then. Was this a transplant from a different motor?

Is this thing of any value? I really don't need this jimungo bracket on my motor.

Patrick Sloan

1975 inka 2002 - 2375719

1991 325iC

2001 325i

It is the air pump bracket....it is shared with the dipstick mount...I know, what were they thinking. Here is what I did on my 68. Take it off, cut the bracket portion off flush with the dipstick tube mount, take a smooth file and shape/contour the rough edge, put on a new gasket and then re-install. No fuss, no mess, etc.

BTW, I'm looking for one of these for a conversion for my 71. I'd like to keep the emissions stuff intact (including an uncut bracket) in the extreme unlikely event that I'd want to install it for novelty purposes when I'm in my 80s or something.

--Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

'68s had air pumps.... that's what the bracket is. Even very early '68s had it, '67 build date '68 model year cars.... I. E. Sept '67 was '68 MY.... The 1560847 I've got had air injection....

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

BTW, I'm looking for one of these for a conversion for my 71. I'd like to keep the emissions stuff intact (including an uncut bracket) in the extreme unlikely event that I'd want to install it for novelty purposes when I'm in my 80s or something.-Ben

I believe I've got on of these in the garage - email me, I'll get back to you later this evening.

Lookin' for one thing, but found another. The 'pump' might be useful to someone who needs one to get their car thru a state inspection.

macitz AT core COT com.

mac.

Could it be used somehow as a motor mount location for a GLAS/BMW?

Norm

Did you see the motor mounts Mike Pugh made for his Glas?

He can probably give you the measurements.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

If anyone didn't check out Ben's low mileage, original paint 1600 you missed a real fine example. I kept wandering back to his car with my camara. The steel wheels from an Opel look perfect.

Yeah, nice wheels, indeed.

Do you know what year(s) the color of Ben's car was available? It's called "Tampico", is it not?

Bill-- I did see his mounts, in fact he sent me his drawings. My Glas is an earlier 1300 and uses a different sub-frame. Mike has been very helpful. The Glas steering box is in the way of the stock BMW mount position and having a mount towards the front of the motor, hence the dipstick area may be better than my first design. Curious as to what this bracket looks like. I can't find a drawing on Mobile Tradition.

Norm