Sign in to follow this  
norma

quick question about tii MC

6 posts / 1049 viewsLast Reply

I'm thinking about upgrading my stock MC to a tii MC which I've read about here a few times. Good idea? I'm assuming it fits fine without alterations. Any problems? It sounds very straight forward. And ATE looks like the way to go. But how about IE? Thanks.

Guest Anonymous
I'm thinking about upgrading my stock MC to a tii MC which I've read about here a few times. Good idea? I'm assuming it fits fine without alterations. Any problems? It sounds very straight forward. And ATE looks like the way to go. But how about IE? Thanks.

You asked a quick question. How about a short answer? Why?

What is wrong with your stock master cylinder that makes you want to upgrade? The differences are minimal.

The tii has a slightly larger bore diameter, you may experience slightly greater pedal effort, but unless you are also upgrading to larger front calipers, larger front rotors and/or larger rear drums and/or wheel cylinders (as they are larger on the tii) you will probably not stop any faster.

Since you are up to reading, you might want to think about using an even larger master cylinder as from an E3/E12. However, making sure that everything else is in good working order, (including all 6 flexible brake hoses) may have a greater effect on overall braking. Same might be said for using more aggressive brake pads. Remember, you have a braking system not just a master cylinder.

If the price is the same, I vote for the tii. And, since you mentioned ATE, they were the original maker, but what other choices are there?

hth

I see what you mean. Makes sense. I've been having braking problems lately and I thought the MC might need to be replaced. But if the tii MC won't make that much a difference...Thanks for the info.

I see what you mean. Makes sense. I've been having braking problems lately and I thought the MC might need to be replaced. But if the tii MC won't make that much a difference...Thanks for the info.

Guest Anonymous

Exactly what type of brake problems are your experiencing?

If, after bleeding, the pedal is going to the floor or you are not able to maintain pressure without pumping the pedal, the master cylinder is a prime suspect. But so are the calipers, wheel cylinders and brake lines/hoses. A master cylinder is not typically a cause for pulling brakes or even dragging brakes.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. The brakes completely went out a few weeks ago when the fluid overheated. The calipers were rebuilt recently and I replaced the stock hoses with stainless and I'm bleeding them next (it's been awhile since the last bleed). My guess is that water got into the brake lines and the brake fluid was already pretty old. If that's not it, the next culprit would be the MC. Any thoughts would be welcome.