JasonBird

5 speed rebuild

8 posts / 1438 viewsLast Reply

I have a E21 '82 316 gearbox (Getrag 240) that I wish to fit to my 02.

The car it came of had 136k on the clock so I was wondering whether it would be worth rebuilding especially as it is going to be a motorsport application?

5th gear is overdrive,

So it's an unknown unit? Tough to say without driving it, maintenance and usage by the previous owner are certainly factors as to whether it needs synchros and/or bearings. (I imagine you'd not want discover a bad synchro in a quick, hard shift on race day!)

Well then whats involved in re building one?

Is there a dealer to source the parts from?

Blunt (found here on the FAQ) is a great source for parts.

As for the rebuild, my understanding is that while the 4-speed is a reasonable project for the do-it-yourselfer, the 5 speed OD is a greater challenge (other folks out there may confirm or deny this). You might check with Dave at Aardvarc, I've got a couple of sources as well (email me offline). -KB

you may want to consider finding an 80-82 E21 Getrag 245 3 piece case OD 5 speed - 245's are both somewhat stronger and a bit smaller (narrower in the rear case area) than the later 2 piece case 240's, so they fit the tunnel in an '02 better.

Tunnel clearance isnt a problem as the shell is caged and the tunnel cut away at the moment from previous ideas. I have this box now so gonna stick with it.

I've heard the same thing about the 240 being weaker than a 245. You may also want to check with Jack Fahuna @ ProBimmer - Jack regularly rebuilds 4 & 5 speeds.

you may want to consider finding an 80-82 E21 Getrag 245 3 piece case OD 5 speed - 245's are both somewhat stronger and a bit smaller (narrower in the rear case area) than the later 2 piece case 240's, so they fit the tunnel in an '02 better.

JB,

are you sure your trans is indeed a 240, not a 245?

The only part that'll have a 245 mark on it for sure

is the center housing- I'm pretty sure you'd see 240 on the

bell and tail housings.

(asked another way, is it 2 or 3 piece?)

Personally, I wouldn't rebuild a 130k mile gearbox-

the odds are that it's ok. But you're gambling

that the previous owner wasn't a ham- fisted idiot.

t