jlandreth

steering column bearing question

6 posts / 1228 viewsLast Reply

I have a bit of play(up and down) in the column behind the steering wheel in my 71.I believe it might be the bearing.Do I have to fully or partially remove the column to address this? Thanks.Hope everyone enjoyed the V&V.

Have you checked the bolts that attach the steering column carrier to the car?

Have you tried to adjust the preload on the bearing. You do this by loosening the bolts on the flange at the steering box (both the bolts on the rubber donut and the clamp bolt on the shaft) and move the flange up the column a bit so when you retighten the donut bolts it pulls the shaft down and preloads the upper bearing. This cured my 'looseness' at the steering wheel.

I have a bit of play(up and down) in the column behind the steering wheel in my 71.I believe it might be the bearing.Do I have to fully or partially remove the column to address this? Thanks.Hope everyone enjoyed the V&V.

No need to remove the column if you find the need to replace the bearing. I just did mine on the tii. Remove wheel, turn signal canceller, retaining sleeve, retaining clip, spring, and you should see the culprit. Actually, the bearing was OK on mine. There's a race behind the bearing that has a sleeve that fits the hole, and the bearing sits in it. Mine was not fitting the hole properly. Btw, the spring retaining clip is a bitch to remove and replace.