dubois

My thoughts after V&V (no pictures)

11 posts / 1355 viewsLast Reply

WOW!!! How could you ever top that?

By FAR, the best car event I have ever attended. V&V has reached international status, no doubt in my mind. I would argue that V&V is one of the top classic BMW car events in the entire world! Folks, it just doesn't get better than that.

The show on Saturday is just the icing on the cake on a series of activities before AND after! This isn't just a car show, but rather a car event! We literally took over an entire small town available downtown parking space on Friday night, the cars became the tourist attraction that day. This "car show" continued at the Hamptons Inn parking lots, where people hung around until the wee hours.

Saturday comes, but wait you just don't go directly to the show! Another car show takes place as cars arrive at yet another small town, and line up in the street. All you can see, again, is a sea of classic BMW's. The 40 mile drives ends at V&V where the band is already playing and the beautiful grounds are revealed with cars already in formation ready for your viewing pleasure. By this time, you realize that the informal shows before "the" show, are just a taste. This is going to be HUGE. Pictures don't do justice. (I will post my best later) There so much excitment and anticipation, the feeling is incredible. Smiles everywhere, people everywhere, beautiful cars, beautiful setting, music, food, and yes lots of grass, trees, ponds, willow trees... sensory overload.

Show is over, just about when you barely had time to check out the last car, but wait, the event isn't over! More parking lot gatherings, and people having pizza & beer in the hotel outdoor tables, very conveniently facing the parking lot.

Sunday is going home day for everybody, but wait, there are organized caravans/drives going North, South, East and West. All cars line up in the parking lot, and leave one after the other, in rapid succesion, hands waived, smiles , just a very happy time, with the rest of the groups watching and waiving good bye. I wish I had video of that, the sound was incredible! (ref:

thanks Jeffrey and Adeline for the video) Soon, it is time for our group to leave. The event wasn't officially over for us until we left Peaks of Otter at 9 pm that day after a drive thru the Blue Ridge Parkway with a pit stop at the D day memorial (awesome)!

Definitely one for your bucket list: Attend V&V!

WOW!

Michael

Michael

Great to meet you after all these years Look forward to talking more with you in the future Know that Rob will take care of your car and I am sure is going to be joining us for more fun in the coming years Here are just a few more pictures Folks have already posted up a bunch but these will help with your memories I hope

Cheers

Posing on the Parkway

Photobucket

At the D Day Memorial

Photobucket

Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak with you. We all enjoyed looking at your former Alpina '02 (drool). Is the car the one pictured in Mike Macartney's small BMW book (Max Hoffman's personal Alpina)? I cannot tell since it is in B&W.

After 3 days of driving the tii, my left foot instictively pressed down on the firewall of my DD (automatic) Honda to move it from the driveway :).

Michael

You summed the event very nicely. For those who missed it or even those of us who were there your summary and the pics that have been posted paint a small picture of the event.

It was a real pleasure to meet you and to have lunch with you in Floyd VA on Sunday.

And the surprise when you and Joseph O'Neil saw each other on Friday night was priceless. I am glad that Bill Williams was able to shoot a photograph of the meeting.

Hope you make it back next year.

Michael, That is probably the best description I have ever heard. I enjoyed meeting you and the Alpina car was spendid indeed. Even though the event has gotten large as Scott and team have included more models in their eligilibilty, it is heavily driven by the the 02 folks. Having drifted in and out of 02 ownership over the years, one thing has become clear. While there may be other BMW's that are splendid in their own right, there are no better people than 2002 people. Thanks again to Scott and Patty and the team that makes V@V my favorite event of the year. Tim Jones

And most importantly, how did Mrs. Dubois like it?

She would have loved it, but she flaked on me on the very last minute! I will never understand women! She would have been rolling her eyes frequently, hearing us talk 02 - she just doesn't get it, there is an infinite amount of subjects to cover!

And most importantly, how did Mrs. Dubois like it?

She would have loved it, but she flaked on me on the very last minute! I will never understand women! She would have been rolling her eyes frequently, hearing us talk 02 - she just doesn't get it, there is an infinite amount of subjects to cover!

Damn, I would have used her ticket if I had known (though I doubt I look like a Laura).

Thanks for the kind words dubois.

Patti and I are glad we give you an event to mark off your bucket list. Hope to see you in 2010 because the event is never the exact same from year to year. I try to stick with my mission statement: "Create an event I would want to go to myself".

I'm printing out your post and keeping it in my personal V@V scrapbook.

Is the car the one pictured in Mike Macartney's small BMW book (Max Hoffman's personal Alpina)? I cannot tell since it is in B&W.

Yes, it is the same one in the book, you can tell by the decals in the qt windows and the ultra rare Campis.

I thought that was the same car. I enjoyed your earlier post of the car being loaded onto the transporter. The rear muffler pipe diameter looks larger than a standard one - is it a special Alpina part (same as on the Diana cars)?

Diana ti

The stance on that car is perfect. The Polaris color with the Campy wheels certainly makes it a "driveable dream" - HELLO Hemmings Sports & Exotic.

Is the car the one pictured in Mike Macartney's small BMW book (Max Hoffman's personal Alpina)? I cannot tell since it is in B&W.

Yes, it is the same one in the book, you can tell by the decals in the qt windows and the ultra rare Campis.