yeewiz

Selling a car on CraigsList

9 posts / 3377 viewsLast Reply

been trying to sell a car, not an 02, on CraigsList. in 2 days, I've gotten 2 inquiries from the UK. one says:

"Thanks for the quick response. I am so glad to inform you that my boss agreed to pay the requested amount payment for the item, And my boss will be paying with a check in US dollars, shipper payment will included with the payment and shipper will be comeing for the pickup at your location or anywhere the item is. I can not come down to test drive or to look at it that is why i ask you about the present condition, I am doing this for my boss. Kindly get back to me with the under listed information so that payment can be issued out to you asp.

(1) FULL NAME AS IT WILL BE ON CHECK,

(2) MAILING ADDRESS,

(3) CELL NUMBER AND ALTERNATIVE NUMBER.

I will be glad If you could furnish me with the required details so that we can proceed on payment. I am presently out of the States now i am in United Kingdom here is my phone number in london +44 753-633-4580. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. "

and the other says:

"My name is Ken Smith.. I work for BRISCOE MOTORS UK.. I came across your ad on craigslist and I was attracted to your offer.. Could you please get back to me with your final asking price, the present working condition of the vehicle and also its availability?

My company is hoping on shipping it down to the UK for renovation and resale so all I really need to know is if it has a good body frame that can be worked on and also if it has any minor engine problems so the costs of repairs can be considered.

You can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] or call my cell phone number +447035992514"

What's going on? Is this the latest scam, like those Nigerian dealies?

I had a similar experience on eBay. Basically, they find an excuse to send you extra money and ask you to return a portion of it.....like to the shipper or something. The trick is that they send you fake money orders. By the time they come back from the bank, you've already sent the extra money back to them.

I actually got as far as sending the money via Western Union before I figured it out. Luckily, they hadn't picked it up yet and I was able to cancel the transaction and get the money back.....only to give it all to the grocery store where I cashed the fake money orders. I also got lucky in that they chose not to involve the police because I figured it out quickly enough and made it right.

Always be wary of international buyers, especially one's that want to refurbish a Left-Hand-Drive car for sale in the UK.

now they are providing phone numbers. Interesting. what I would do is to ask for a cashiers check as a deposit..see what they say..Just be real careful and dont send anything out until you see cash/funds clear and deposited in your bank account.

its unfortunate there are so many scams on CL going on, its hard to weed through what is legit and not.....

where in concord are you from? i grew up right off Bailey road, just recently moved out to Walnut Creek, my freezer where my make my ice sculptures is next to Costco in concord....i'm brand new to the 02' world so would love to meet some fellow addicts

Yep, they are getting more clever with phishing these days. I can't guarantee it, but I'd bet money both are scams. I saw similar things with my last two CL car sales (E30 and RX7). The tipoff (other than shipping/money orders) is that they wont ask the 'right' questions about the car. If you really are interested in a car, there are certain questions you should be asking, and they weren't.

The tipoff (other than shipping/money orders) is that they wont ask the 'right' questions about the car. If you really are interested in a car, there are certain questions you should be asking, and they weren't.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. There's something fishy about a Brit that wants to import a LHD car to sell in the UK.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for these postings........ I got similar emails for my car post in craiglist..... now I know what to do .....

I got the same email. Its a scam for sure!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:56:26 -0800

Subject: INTERESTED BUYER 1992 Honda Civic - $3995

Hello

My name is Ken Smith.. I work for BRISCOE MOTORS UK.. I came across your ad on craigslist and I was attracted to your offer.. Could you please get back to me with your final asking price, the present working condition of the vehicle and also its availability?

My company is hoping on shipping it down to the UK for renovation and resale so all I really need to know is if it has a good body frame that can be worked on and also if it has any minor engine problems so the costs of repairs can be considered.

You can email me at [email protected] or [email protected] or call my cell phone number +447035992514

I hope to read from you soon.

Cheers

Ken