ArdenK

Timing Chain Gear installation

7 posts / 2008 viewsLast Reply

Hi all,

I'm attempting to install the timing chain gear and I can't seem to get it in the right position, it's off by a millimeter or 2. I positioned everything at TDC before I removed the gear. I was thinking that the chain tensioner was keeping me from getting the bit of play I need to get the gear back on. What is the best way to take the pressure off the tensioner then how do I tighten it back up?

Thank you for your assistance!

Just remove the "big bolt looking plug" on the top passenger side of the upper timing cover.

Its under sprig tension, so be ready for that thing to fly off when you remove it, so as not to lose anything.

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds simple enough but how do you get pressure back in it?

Thanks again,

Arden, good to see you are getting the engine back together. Did you not get a Hayne's or Chilton manual to help you out? With regard to the chain tensioner, take a look at Real OEM:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST12&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2372&hg=11&fg=25

The tensioner is parts 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 in the diagram. When you put everything back in, the compression of the long spring puts tension on the chain. After putting the timing gear on you then need to hand-bleed the tensioner piston. Fill the small reservoir (looking down from the top of the front cover) with oil. then reach down with a screwdriver and work the black rubber-coated rail back and forth against the tensioner piston. You should see a few bubbles coming out as the reservoir behind the piston (where the long spring is) fills with oil. If you don't do this it might self-bleed when you start the engine, but it is best to bleed it first.

Best of luck, Fred

'74tii track

Arden -

I'll plan on coming over this week since I'm mostly off of work. I'll call you today for scheduling.

Regarding the timing chain re-installation, I just pulled upward on mine to put it back on the camshaft after the head gasket was replaced. You have to pull up pretty hard to overcome the spring tensioner and push the sprocket back over the cam flange.

Thank you for your reply.

That sounds simple enough but how do you get pressure back in it?

Thanks again,