Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

New to forum

7 posts / 593 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

After a long hiatus from BMW I'm trying to make my way back: My sons were drawn to mine like a moth to a flame and I couldn't keep up with constant repairs due to blown engines and bent sheet metal. Divorce lost me another, et cetera.

Probably went the wrong route since I am getting kind of stiff, senile, and feeble. Bought the finest 1972 BMW 2002 $222.50 will buy off of eBay.

While waiting to pick it up I did find the section on tires/rims here and thanks for the info. My theory in buying such a lump was I was going to replace a lot of stuff anyway. Getting two tires put on rims so I could put the car on a dolly cost $60 but I just picked up four E30 14x6? rims with 205 60's on them for $60.

Bought a manual and found a weathered one in the car. Took a day to figure out the wiring but static timed it and gravity feed gas to the carburetor and had it running by day two. It seems to run pretty good. Last time the car was registered was 1988 so 21+ years of sitting under a pine tree. I was mainly just running it to see how much it would cost to get the engine suitable for the street and it looks like next to nothing.

Apparently what laid it low was a freeze plug as there is one missing. Good news to me kind of thing since it stopped the guy who was using from wearing it out. Shows 33k on the odometer so I will assume 133k is the actual mileage. I will fix the freeze plug this afternoon.

The bad news is it seems like BMW invented biodegradable plastics before there was a need. I mean everything plastic from the gas filler tube to the rear view mirror has disintegrated. Seats are intact but brittle as old parchment.

The brakes are my next target so I thought I would ask some general advice. For instance; the master cylinder is a mass of rust and Al oxide. Is replacing/rebuilding it the only game in town or is there an easy fix like a master cylinder out of an 320i? Ditto for the wheel cylinders and calipers. I thought the stock braking of a 2002 along with just about everything else performance wise was better then my E320. Advice like stick with stock or 320i parts fit and are cheaper would help a lot.

Also the carburetor seems to have a vent hole on top that feeds right into the air cleaner. Shouldn't this have a fiber plug or something to keep junk from dropping into the float bowls?

Rick

Welcome Rick. Nice job saving one from the crusher. Now you can be as sick as the rest of us...

Stock 2002 masters are pretty easy to come by. About $100 from different places around the web (BMW, pelican parts, our good friend Blunt on this board, Top End Performance in california and E-bay). Some people upgrade to the Tii master (I did). I've heard that there are others that are compatible as well - can't remember which though. Try the "search" function under "Brake Master".

As far as calipers go - it will accept the 320 calipers, but there are some mods necessary. Really, the stock calipers are not too bad. I bought reconditioned calipers pretty cheap last year, and totally re-did my front brakes. Unless you are doing some serious auto-x'ing - the stock brakes are actually fine.

Don't know about the carb. Tell us more. Stock Solex? One lung or two? Or a Weber? Pics would be great - we are drawn to pics like birds to shiny....

Later,

Ken

Guest Anonymous

This is a view leaning over the passenger side fender so I could block the sun. That is the brakes vacuum reservoir/boost to the left and the drivers side inner fender behind it. I believe it is a stock single barrel Solex. The tube that I am worried about is in the picture between the throttle body and the yellow dipstick. The tube fits through a grommet on the air cleaner. There is nothing but nothing inside the tube. You could dipstick and set the float levels with it: Straight through hole.

BTW: Bought a variety of freeze plugs because I wasn't sure if the one on the side of the block was 36mm or 45mm. Naturally the guy sold me 36.5mm. It looks close enough. I will try to drive it home in a few secs.

Rick

[/img]http://home.earthlink.net/~ricortes/carb.jpg{option}

Guest Anonymous

The one bbl solex is not my area of expertise. If I look at this diagram:

29.png

It looks like something goes in there. What - I don't know.

Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable will chime in.

Ken

Do you have the stock air cleaner for it? If so, I would think there is a grommeted hole to where that vent tube is receiving filtered air just like the main throat...

Do you have the stock air cleaner for it? If so, I would think there is a grommeted hole to where that vent tube is receiving filtered air just like the main throat...

Thanks for the input.

Yes it fits in a grommet that goes through the bottom of the air cleaner. I guess all float bowls are vented to the atmosphere it is just that this is huge. Like you could almost stick your little finger into the float bowl.

It does go to the inside the paper element so in normal operation it shouldn't see any dirt. It could be a California thing as our smog laws were a bit stricter then the rest of the nation back then. It is just the size and lack of a bend or something to prevent junk from dropping in when you remove the air cleaner that bothers me. I mean everything that doesn't want vapor lock vents the float bowls but usually it is a little more descrete: Maybe pin hole to the throttle body or 1/8" brass tube that goes out and down.

I will let it go for now. Plenty of other stuff to keep me ocupado. Have to finish brakes, get current tags, gas tank filler tube, electronic ignition from eBay should be here next week.

Rick