bmcallister

One end done, one to go!

8 posts / 1404 viewsLast Reply

I've redone the front suspension over the last couple days:

IE stage I, Bilstein Sports, urethane bushings, 22mm sway bar, strut bearings, fixed camber plates. I also got my new 195/50 tires mounted on 15x7 Konig wheels.

Last weekend was aluminum radiator, water pump, hoses, etc.

I have the bushings, springs, shocks, diff mounts, and sway bar to do the rear but that may have to wait till next weekend.

I'm waiting on a new divider housing to finish the cooling system so the car is not driving yet.

Stance is exactly as it came off the jack stands - can't drive it! - so hopefully it will sit a bit lower when all is done, especially the front. The rear should definitely get lower since I have not put any of the parts in it yet.

If the front does not drop after driving it around a bit, I guess I'll cut a coil.

Thoughts?

post-16186-13667606720428_thumb.jpg

post-16186-13667606721237_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the progress, looks like it is going well. Will you be disconnecting the rear brake lines when you put the bushings in? I did not when i did mine, FYI. The worst part of the trailing are bushings is putting the arms back in and feeding the bolt through with the new poly bushing, it was a pain but i was able to put them in. One end of the original bushing was missing, and i was tempted to cut my new ones to but i was able to fit them in. Have Fun!!

I'm deep into a similar project-a suspension rehab and front end rust removal crusade. You mention the IE springs, Bilstein Sports and 22mm sway bar in front, and I have the same springs and dampers in my 72. I'm going to buy the 22mm IE sway bar as part of the project, but I'm wondering why does your car sit so high? In the front, it's higher than mine. Are you using spring pads up front?

Regards,

Brendan

Is that an Ireland aluminum radiator? If so, how was the install/tight fit?

...tighten all control arm hardware ONLY

after the car is on the ground, rolled, and

weighted with 150 lbs on both front seats,

150 lbs centered on back seat, full tank of gas,

and 100 lbs in the trunk. Perform the wheel alignment

also in this weighted condition.

I'm deep into a similar project-a suspension rehab and front end rust removal crusade. You mention the IE springs, Bilstein Sports and 22mm sway bar in front, and I have the same springs and dampers in my 72. I'm going to buy the 22mm IE sway bar as part of the project, but I'm wondering why does your car sit so high? In the front, it's higher than mine. Are you using spring pads up front?

Regards,

Brendan

No spacer, no spring pads (clear tubing and wired the spring to the top perch). See c.d.iesel's response. Preloaded bushings. I didn't think that was an issue with urethane. Get the IE sway bar. It was a cinch to install, very slick mounting system - a much nicer way to mount the sway bar compared to stock in my opinion.

Is that an Ireland aluminum radiator? If so, how was the install/tight fit?

Yes, IE radiator. Installation was easy. Had to drill four new holes. I've seen a lot of the posts about how the IE radiator will not clear the fan sufficiently and it appears that is NOT a problem anymore. At least not with the unit they sent me. It was exactly as thick as stock.

Since you are drilling new mounting holes, you can get rid of the stock "U" clips they use to mount the original unit. Use regular 10mm bolts with washers (but nothing in between the radiator and support you are mounting it to). This give you another 1 or 2mm of clearance.

I was very careful during the fitting process and it went in fine. I slid it in there and checked the alignment and fan clearance (rotated fan 360 degrees and bent a fan blade toward the front of the car about 1" throughout the rotation). I even installed it with the fan on the water pump.

I do recommend new motor mounts and a transmission mount. I got mine from BavAuto. The trans mount is is beefier (from a 320?).

...tighten all control arm hardware ONLY

after the car is on the ground, rolled, and

weighted with 150 lbs on both front seats,

150 lbs centered on back seat, full tank of gas,

and 100 lbs in the trunk. Perform the wheel alignment

also in this weighted condition.

Hmmm. I didn't think that was an issue with urethanes. But I guess my car's stance proves it is!

Sounds like I'm going to have an interesting time figuring out how to weight the car. Me to wife: Can you call that really skinny friend of yours up and have her come over here an sit in my trunk?