Green2k2

oil pressure switch (thread type)

12 posts / 2793 viewsLast Reply

Hey gang, forgive my ignorance plz...I have two Q's to run by you.

Story:

My oil pressure sending unit is leaking and in need of replacement. After pricing them at the local auto parts store ($110.00 !!??!! ) I decided to price them on line. I was able to find them for about 10% of what the auto parts place wants to charge me.

But I also found that there are several companies making them and they have two different thread types (course or fine).

1. My first obvious question is how do I know which thread type I have?

Second, is there a big difference between...say...bosch and the others?

TIA

That price is WAYYY tooo HIIIIGH!!

pull yours and take to another local auto store and purchase, match the thread size, should be less than $20 i would figure.

Thanks guys.

I've found several ranging from $7 to about $35...and from comanies like bosch and others that I'm not familiar with.

None of my local parts places have them in stock (that I could find so far anyway)...so it's a little hard to compare mine with what they could order for me. (plus being a "special order" part there would be a restocking fee if it were the wrong thread size)

I'm gonna take the part of the head. I just don't know that I'll recognize which thread from the other.

thanks guys!

no worries...I guess I'll figure it out. I was hoping that maybe there was a secret way of knowing before having both in-hand to compare.

If you're close to La Jolla, Carl at La Jolla Indepedent would more than likely have both available.

Cris

Yeah, not really a secret way other than to pull it and look at it.

However, in 15 years and about 15 cars,

I've never seen anything but the coarse thread...

fwiw.

t

I'll price Carl in Birdrock (La Jolla) then go from there.

If there's a high likelyhood of it being course threads, then I don't mind taking the risk and ordering a course-thread online ...

It's a holiday weekend so there isn't much gonna happen for now (the leak is more of a seep).

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know what I come up with.

not sure what you are asking. if sender by distributor, there are two types coarse and fine (early and late, but not necessarily in that order) you can only know by taking yours out and examining, the housing that it fits into can be changed. If you want a double sender for a guage and the idiot light, it gets more complicated

not sure what you are asking. if sender by distributor, there are two types coarse and fine (early and late, but not necessarily in that order) you can only know by taking yours out and examining, the housing that it fits into can be changed.

thanks Roger. I'm catching that there are two types of threads (after searching for a replacement). Yes, the sender/sensor/switch (depends on who you ask at to what it might be known by) next to the distributor.

If you want a double sender for a guage and the idiot light, it gets more complicated

Just want the replacement part in order to stop the leak.

Thanks again everyone. This isn't that complicated. Without having anything to compare it to, I was just wondering if there might be another way.

I'll talk to Carl later.

As it turns out (and as suspected) the original sending unit/switch whatever it's called, has course threads.

I did find a local parts place that had one in stock for ~$15 out-the-door.

bah-da boom, bah-da bing! No more leaky-leaky.

t'anks everyone! :^)