• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

265 getrag into the s14 swap

hendi72

i am finally getting ready to do the trans install. but before i do....does anybody have any real suggs? or even pics? all i have are the photos of hoffmans crop top to the tunnel from the m2 website (see attach.). i could use any info....blunt?... i'm looking in your direction.....heh heh. i mean, is this tranny that tight? wide or tall or both?

thanks

mark

post-1268-13667606440363_thumb.jpg

is.the.265.w/speedo.or.are.you.doing.the.conversion?

Im.about.to.do.the.same.

would.like.to.use.the.265.that.came.with.my.s14..

..or

use.a.different.tranny.all.together..

i.have.a.couple.245s

anyone.done.the.conversion???

if.i.had.all.the.parts.to.do.the.speedo.conversion.on.the.265

Id.be.on.my.way.already.as.I.understand.the.tranny.is.really.strong.

and.I.plan.on.going.nuts.with.h.power...

• 2 weeks later...

i'm using an older box with the speedo gear. look, i'm all about the 245's. i've always used them and have one now. its just this box IS stronger, has the speedo ready, and since all i got with the engine was the orig bell (no trans)...i just swapped that, and now have the factory ref sensor pods. i'm an accomplished welder...but this is way easier...trust me. lots of pros. only con is the fit. i was hoping for any suggs.

I have seen this done in aus a few times. Normally they have taken the whole tunnel out and made it wider. I just bashed my tunnel out when I did my 5spd. But I'm using the smaller box.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

I'm about to do this myself. The idea is that the tunnel needs to be wider. I've got the 265 and will measure the difference in width and height compared to the 245, and enlarge the tunnel using the differences measured.

It seems to me that the easiest method would be to cut a line down the top of the tunnel from the end of the transmission to the firewall, and then cut the front end of the tunnel from the firewall. You could then bend the existing tunnel pieces to fit, and weld in a new center section to add the necessary material for the enlarged tunnel, and weld the leading edge of the tunnel to the firewall.

Ian

'76 M2 (soon with enlarged tranny tunnel)

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

How about welding in a section of tunnel from an e30? If i were to do it I'd look into this direction. May be pretty easy if the firewall runs at a similar angle and there would look factory fresh in the end. Just a thought........

i agree, width is the issue. my next step was the difference in measurements from the 265 to 245 also. i guess i'm on the right page! i did toy with the idea of an e30 tunnel swap...but i think, from a welder's point of view, that the strip in the middle would be easier. ian...i relish your input! if you ever get any photos of what you're doing, please pass them along to me.

mark (hendi 72)

• 2 weeks later...

try cutting it like this. in an "I" then flare out each end for width and add another tunnel piece for the top once you raise it a couple inches. This way you don't have to cut much off. This seem to be the easiest way for me.

Good Luck.

Draco

post-3448-13667607981161_thumb.jpg

post-3448-13667607982412_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be doing this trans install too, but mated to the M10b20. Any ideas on how that will go over? Any insight on what to look out for?

I would think it would be pretty simple to "scalp" the tunnel then add metal to both sides to raise the tunnel up. As for width, I'm not sure.

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold

• 1 month later...

its the height that is the real issue with the 265 tranny. thats why most pictures you see they're cut across the top to allow space to "stretch and raise the metal. i will probably go with the "I" cut across the top. the mount tabs on either side also touch...but just barely. i think another "tap of persuasion" will alleviate that. i'll try to upload some pics as i go.

good luck and thanks

hendi

• 4 weeks later...

ok...i've tried to upload pics but they're too big....so here's a brief of what's happened so far... the tunnel has to be raised just about 3/4" at the top...the 265 actually fits pretty good in the tunnel on the sides...i had to cut my old 245 braces off...and then pound a bit to make room for the ears on the sides of the 265. but after that....using the e30m3 support and mounts it fit pretty good! i am using an older shifter support from a 5 or 6 series...not sure but had to shorten it about a 1/2" in order for it to center in th shifter hole.

i'll try and shrink the photos as soon as i can.

good luck and a special thanks to ian m.! he's been a great wealth of wisdom and info!

hendi

So...ive thought about this for a while and have not come to a conclusion yet. What throw out bearing is used with this trans? I assume you will be using a 228 flywheel. Thats the same size as the M3 flywheel, right? If the 228 and the M3 flywheel are one in the same, what TO bearing to use? M3?

Since the E21 323 TO bearing is used with the 245 and 228mm, Im all confused!

75 2002 "Project Turb02"

95 Hellrot M3 *Sold

95 332is *Sold