Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Whats wrong with my steering?

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

When manoeuvering in tight spaces (eg parallel parking) The steering linkage seems to stick over to one side when driving away.

For example: if im pulling out of a tight parking spot and turn the wheels all the way to the left, the car wants to veer left when driving away. It'll continue until I make a right turn, then the steering straightens out and i dont have to fight with it. The same thing and vice versa for a sharp right turn...

Occasionally when making a long turn the steering will stick and i have to jerk it back so i dont keep turning. Little scary at times!

Tires are about 33psi and all the linkage is tight...

Could it be steering box? or idler arm sticking?

thanks guys

Guest Anonymous

wallpaper.jpg

damn cross-posters!! not-I just replied to this on assfly. steering box seals have been known to leak.... maybe a good idea to check the fluid level. Also Id put the front wheels in the air and have a buddy operate the wheel while you check for loose or whatever pieces under there. I suspect the box itself tho. the worm gear might have chunked in that position or something, too.

HTH!!

Rob

Guest Anonymous

thanks for both anyway! I have a feeling the gears are messed in the box. What a shitty job though, esp with the m20 stuffed in there.

Guest Anonymous

20021275838033976287082.jpg

Sounds like you may have gotten some of the washers and spacers mixed up, this will cause them to bind up like you described.

Guest Anonymous

mine was EXACTLY the same symptom, EXACTLY. What did it turn out to be? Loose front wheel bearings... I had that thing in for an alignment, i spent hours checking all the suspension stuff, i blamed bent rims, crappy tires, low tire pressure...etc. In the end...5 minutes to tighten the wheel bearing fixed it. I haven't put the new ones in yet..but I'll be changing them yearly from now on anyway..due to front spacers i have to use for my 'non 02 spec' offset

Matt

ps you can just BITE me for living in a province where its not currently minus 15!!!!! :) argh!!!!

Guest Anonymous

atleast you have more time to work on your car. And can afford not to drive it!

I'll try the wheel bearings dude...even though they're pretty new and i check them fairly often. How tight should they be anyway?

Guest Anonymous

upper spring perch

washer

strut bearing

washer

tube spacer

washer

nut

Guest Anonymous

replace oil in gear box with SAE 90

check idler arm

check tierod and centerlink connections

check strut bearings

tighten wheel bearings

and maybe test between each one and let you know what solves it

later

marc

Guest Anonymous

as for how tight...check the manual..its some 'tighten to this setting, turn the wheel, back off a bit' procedure. but if the car is jacked and you reef on the wheel and there is play back and forth, well..it very well could be that.

BTW, i put new ones in..don't know if i did them wrong..but they didn't even last 5000 miles (driving like a bat out of hell the entire time with 5mm spacers, mind you..)

matttttttt