• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oppinions on this car

Mattscott77

Im looking into getting my first '02 for a summer project

it is also my first attempt to fix up an old car (engineering student)

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1141411712.html

assuming best case scenario:

48000 miles (and not 148000)

great interior

surface rust only

strong engine,

how out there is this price?

comparing it to other cars I have seen for sale I would say this is a 1000-1500$ car

oppinions?

ps. this car has been on craigslist for over a month, with the price steadily dropping from 7500 to 5500, so it is obviously getting no one interested...

School: Cornell University

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Clubs: Delta Tau Delta Fraternity

Cars:

2003 buick DD (grandpa's car, literally...)

BMW 2002 (as soon as i find one...)

thanks

i read that guide a couple weeks ago

but what are your oppinions on this specific 2002?

has anyone gone to check this car out?

Cars:

My .02...if you have a budget of <$3k based on your other post, find the best running, least rusted car you can for that price. I wouldn't waste my time looking at project cars priced at $5.5k if I was working with a <$3k budget.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

thats what i figured

probly a rollover and its actually 148k

advertiseing as 48k says either the seller doesnt mind lying, or doesnt know anything about the cars history, both bad options

Cars:

I have seen one or two project cars that have looked in decent shape in the NJ area over the past year. I ended up finding a car upstate NY last summer which amazingly has little rust on the most important parts of the car. Here is one in the Syacuse that's probably in your price range and you won't have the spend an arm and a leg to get it through NJ inspection.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/1130014562.html

awesome

thanks for the link

just sent the owner an email

im in ithaca till the end of the month for school, so the car is less then an hour away

is there anyone on the forum who lives in syracuse and could check the car out for me, as i can't make it out there for a couple weeks (stupid final exams and FSAE racing championships)

Cars:

yeah

i saw that one on ebay a couple weeks ago

the sentences "rear brakes are not connected" and "floor needes replaced" dont exactly make me smile

then theirs the mileage number of 999,999 haha, meaning broken speedo and completely unknown mileage

and then of course the videos of him driving the car like a maniac (thats gotta be good for the old engine)

his reserve is 2000 i think, and that is definately not a 2000$ car in my oppinion

plus im in ithaca ny for another 2 weeks, meaning the syracuse car is very close (plus it has little rust, known mileage, owned by a woman, arizona car, all for just 1000$ more)

if im still carless when i go back to NJ then i'll probably go look at the one in hastings

Cars: