• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

100% MSD Ignition

brianstj

I thought I would share my purdy new MSD ignition system in the 2002!

It is all 100% MSD - Pro Billet distributor, Heli Core plug wires, Blaster 2 coil, 6AL ignition box, and tach adapter to keep the factory gauge working right. The plugs are gapped to either 0.050" or 0.060" - I forget which. The distributor was set up with 24 degrees of crank advance that operates between 800 and 2500 RPM. I set the total timing to 34 degrees and the car seems to be pretty happy with it. It winds freely and quickly right up to the 6000 RPM rev limiter installed in the ignition box, no hesitation anywhere in the RPM range, and no pinging that I have heard so far.

FUN FUN FUN

post-14641-1366760562836_thumb.jpg

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

ive got the same thing but no revv limiter. like it though

im 20, the 2002 is the most fun car ive ever driven. i have a 74 malaga 2002. engine was rebuilt: bored out to a 2.1, litghtweight pistons, shrick cam, dual weber 40's, msd, custom exhaust. 3.91 lsd, h&r lowering springs. bilstein sport

ive got the same thing but no revv limiter. like it though

im 20, the 2002 is the most fun car ive ever driven. i have a 74 malaga 2002. engine was rebuilt: bored out to a 2.1, litghtweight pistons, shrick cam, dual weber 40's, msd, custom exhaust. 3.91 lsd, h&r lowering springs. bilstein sport

Guest Anonymous
The plugs are gapped to either 0.050" or 0.060"

Have you checked to see what kind of clearance you have with plugs gapped that large? I was concerned that there would be interference with a valve at high revs when things have a tendency to stretch.

Using Pat Allen's example, I tried using the later BMW electronic ignition setup along with a recurved distributor centrifugal advance and found it good to 6500 rpm with wide gaps. That was in the car I sold.

I am considering a similar upgrade to my all stock 71 system. Why did you choose the MSD system over BMW's Bosch electronic version or maybe the Mallory or Jacobs systems? What swayed you?

tia

First to the comparison - there is none. I first had the MSD ignition box installed with the stock vacuum advance distributor and a Pertronix. The car ran well before, but the acceleration seemed to come a little easier. When I installed the distributor I also rebuilt the carb because I was having some strange flooding issue after I shut down, plus the idle was not totally stable. Obviously the ignition has nothing to do with the puddle of gas that was sitting in the manifold, but after getting everything back together things seem to be totally sorted out. The Weber is responding like it is supposed to for small adjustments in the lean-best-idle procedure, where before you could tweak things further without noticing as much. So I don't have the ignition isolated as the only variable and I have only done 1 shake down drive, but the car is running smooth, seems to pull a little more effortlessly, and is idling rock solid.

For the plug gap I just went with the lowest setting on the range MSD recommended for my compression ratio. I did not even consider any issues with clearance with the larger gaps. I guess I will pull the plugs at some point and see if the pistons have decided to close up the gaps for me :)

As for choosing MSD, I wasn't even aware that other ignition companies had options that would work in the '02 - the Tii distributor upgrade was the only option I had really heard of. When I had my engine rebuilt I was asking my machinist if he had any experience with the Tii distributor and how it would compare and he suggested that the MSD distributor he had used before would be a better option, sighting the adjustability of the advance curve, reliability of the magnetic pick up, and the overall performance of the system. The complete package was a little spendy, but so far I at least perceive a nice improvement in the car and I am happy. If anything changes as I drive the car more I will keep you posted.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

The distributor is an MSD Pro Billet unit made for the air cooled VW engine. Terry Tinney in Livermore, CA www.terrytinney.com makes a custom shaft to adapt to the M10 engine. It uses a magnetic pickup so you have to also use the MSD ignition box or something else compatible with that type of signal - not the same as a Pertronix. The distributor also comes with a couple sets of springs, advance stops, and charts of the advance curves when they are all mixed and matched. I just asked Terry to set up what he thought would work best for this engine.

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i

• 4 years later...

clearly you are already using the search function or effect.

maybe try forum search on "MSD tach adapter".  dozens of threads on this conversion, one of them must have part number.

Roger, Wilco

I would also like to know what strut bar/brace he is using.  I LIKE it.  Picture search? ;)

Edited by jdeitch

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/