• Upcoming Events

• Announcements

• steve k.

Marking as SOLD   11/04/2016

In the "For Sale" post you will se a button "Mark as Sold"  Use that to indicate that the item is no longer available.
Sign in to follow this  
yesterdaylight

68 1600 in Middletown NY $600

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

A very kind felllow FAQer in Upstate NY checked that one out for me on Monday and sent me a lot of photos. It is definitely worth saving, based on what it is (a VERY early, all original 1600). It will, however, need a LOT of love before it will run and drive.

I thought it was probably a '69 or '70 year production. I had contacted them yesterday thinking it was a 156XXX vin and it was not when they sent me an e-mail. Nevertheless, it is a car worth saving, it is complete as far as I can tell from pictures and the e-mail I had received...

Guest Anonymous

I drove down to Middletown on Monday to look at this car for another FAQ'er and responded to a number of questions in the general Forum on it. Here are those responses,

"This car has golfball-size rust holes over both rear wheels and in the rockers, and the shock towers appear to have some bondo in them, but the trunk and cabin floor pans and firewall appear solid. The exterior sheet metal appears quite straight and the hood closes perfectly, but the underside front lip of the hood is badly rusted. The front end took a slight, direct shot and the grills are bent in and the driver's side fender is also slightly banged up around the headlight. There is a bird's nest by the wiper motor and a bee's nest inside the cabin. The interior is beat, but not ravaged. All the engine parts are there, but no battery, and it looks like it hasn't run in 20 years. I made no effort to get it started (it was 93F and scorching sun). But IMHO, this car could be restored to an nice original '68 with $$$$$ and TLC."

Roger

'72 Malaga

I thought it was probably a '69 or '70 year production. I had contacted them yesterday thinking it was a 156XXX vin and it was not when they sent me an e-mail. Nevertheless, it is a car worth saving, it is complete as far as I can tell from pictures and the e-mail I had received...

That likely is not a 68. Perhaps its build date was in late 68 as a 69 model, so the DMV mis-registered it as a 68 at some point. Or, someone actually added the reflectors, headrests etc during a repaint/resto in the past to make it look more "modern" at the time LOL.

I was just at the car earlier. The vin is 1572797 LOTS of funky stuff with this one. Heres a List:

1. Car has been painted with a real bad coat of a malaga like color.

Don't think that's an original color.

2. Car has a one piece dash, wood grain gauges

3. Seats have headrests. Might be correct, not sure.

4. Car has later, B-pillar mounted seat belts with early recievers that don't work together.

5. Car is rusty. Shock towers where repaired by someone who admires Rube Goldberg's work.

6. Car has orange centered tail lights and late model, big front blinkers.

7. Car has reflectors on the fenders and quarter panels. Don't think this car should have them.

8. Car has four piston calipers up front.

9. Car has a short neck diff, late style cv's and a sway bar out back.

The owner seems like a real nice guy. He races an E30 in itb and owns another 02. He stated that he didn't want to part the car out, he wanted to find it a good home. If some want a real project, and to uncover the mysteries of this car, ride down there with 600 clams.

Larry

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this