sheggaw

$11K Inka 02...any comments ?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was for the most part going along with the condition and price until I hit the rusted out wheel well. At that point it was well over priced.

Nice Inka, but has the price of regular 02's gone that high in this economy?

No.

Even if one consults the Gold Book ($9,500) or NADA Value Guide (Average Retail $13,700) for some type of benchmark, I think you'd be hard-pressed to squeeze out more than $7,000 to $8,000 from this particular car.

I'm skeptical of owner claims regarding "originality" when there are obvious changes in equipment shown in the photos. The description could use a bit of editing/spellchecking, too!

Further, even here in California, it's not easy to find an unrestored, original car without rust. Rust in the spare tire well does not necessarily indicate extensive rot elsewhere, but I'd be certain to do an extensive physical examination before I plunked down eleven-large for a car that would break my heart as well as my purse.

Delia

Yeah, it's original. Except for the wheels, painted valve cover, fog lamps, steering wheel . . . That's as annoying as an ebay ad that says, "No Reserve!" Except the bidding starts at $10,000. By definition, that is a reserve. And by definition, this car is not original and seems overpriced given the potential rust issues. I'd like to have it anyway.

1972 BMW 2002 INKA - $11500

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1142563834.html

This particular car, probably not, but I have almost the exact same car (minus the rust but with older paint) and I have easily $11500 into it ;-) Doesn't mean it's worth that, granted, but I know others who have lots of $$$ in their 02s...

I for one wouldn't mind if people started realizing they're not all $500 cars anymore ;-)

1972 BMW 2002 INKA - $11500

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/1142563834.html

Probably not, but I have almost the exact same car (minus the rust but with older paint) and I have easily $11500 into it ;-)

I for one wouldn't mind if people started realizing they're not all $500 cars anymore ;-)

me too. with parts costing what they do it costs a hell of a lot of money just to build a mechanically sound car before you even get to cosmetics.

Guest Anonymous

I stopped keeping track of the money I have into my '02 so I can always tell my family, without being a complete liar that, "I don't know how much I've spent." But I'm sure it's over $20K to get the car quite nice. Anybody who think's they will recover their "investment" in their restored 2002 needs some serious exposure to selling prices.

I stopped keeping track of the money I have into my '02 so I can always tell my family, without being a complete liar that, "I don't know how much I've spent." But I'm sure it's over $20K to get the car quite nice. Anybody who think's they will recover their "investment" in their restored 2002 needs some serious exposure to selling prices.

Agreed, but I think that will change...I don't want to say "the market is wrong and I am right", that'd be pretentious, but I think the market is going to catch up eventually. The 02 has that stigma of being somebody's first college car, repaired with bubble gum and a rubber band, cheap engine swaps etc...

But rarity wise, outside of California, they are hard to find cars, cars that make people smile (if I had a penny for each time I heard "Ooooh, I had one of those"), and performance wise they are pretty honest machines (RWD to boot) ! If you look at the price of a long hood early 911T and how much that went up lately, you'd assume a 2002 should be at least worth 1/2 of that... it's still not, but having owned both, it should be... Lots of cool old cars have gone way up in price in the last 5 years, old porsches, mercs, alfas, even Karmann Ghias (pretty sure my 02 can take a ghia), but somehow the 02 is still lagging in most people's perception... Why? no clue other than the aforementioned stigma and all the heavily modded cars maybe? (says a guy who's putting FI on his engine)

Personally, if you showed me a perfect base roundie under $12K, I'd buy it on the spot - knowing what I know now about cost of parts, repairs, and originality... And more for a Tii... This 02 pricing thing is a mystery to me, honest ! They should be worth more !

I've noticed recently that the advertised cars on C-list locally

are really skewed- there have been $3-5k 'decent drivers' that

people are asking $10- $25(!!!)k for.

I think that maybe the

economic panic has flushed some of the hoarders out from

under the carpet, and they haven't been paying any attention

to what the cars are really worth...

Having said that, for all I know there are buyers for these cars.

But that would really surprise me....

t

Agreed, but I think that will change...I don't want to say "the market is wrong and I am right", that'd be pretentious, but I think the market is going to catch up eventually. The 02 has that stigma of being somebody's first college car, repaired with bubble gum and a rubber band, cheap engine swaps etc...

But rarity wise, outside of California, they are hard to find cars, cars that make people smile (if I had a penny for each time I heard "Ooooh, I had one of those"), and performance wise they are pretty honest machines (RWD to boot) ! If you look at the price of a long hood early 911T and how much that went up lately, you'd assume a 2002 should be at least worth 1/2 of that... it's still not, but having owned both, it should be... Lots of cool old cars have gone way up in price in the last 5 years, old porsches, mercs, alfas, even Karmann Ghias (pretty sure my 02 can take a ghia), but somehow the 02 is still lagging in most people's perception... Why? no clue other than the aforementioned stigma and all the heavily modded cars maybe? (says a guy who's putting FI on his engine)

Personally, if you showed me a perfect base roundie under $12K, I'd buy it on the spot - knowing what I know now about cost of parts, repairs, and originality... And more for a Tii... This 02 pricing thing is a mystery to me, honest ! They should be worth more !

deschodt!

I wanted to add to this thread but your post is just perfect....

I also own a 70 T...I bought it yrs ago at a wee bit over 10k. It was a high level driver.......and 911"S" people laughed at me saying it was worth 6k at the most...well..... know they are all over 20k.....ez!

Yet for some reason(s)..the 02 continues to lag behind. Geez.. I mean Dodge Dart hemi clones are over 35k....911 RS reps are over 25k....

restored Beetles are over 15k...GTV's are over 15k....etc ...etc....

I actually think a bit part of it is the 02 owner themselves....I think WE still undervalue the cars.....

Often I see remarks of how a car may be selling for a crazy high price...when really its not.

The karma of the early 911 forums is much different......the cars just seem to be valued more. And the 911 owner has kind of dictated the market....we have not....yet

but thats just my take on thangs

here is good thread on 911T prices.....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16082

Personally, I like the 72 Inka for sale, mainly because it looks like my car and the owner has given good details on the trunk condition (with a new replacement part). Some shots of the rocker panels, close ups of the engine compartment and front/rear suspension would assist in narrowing down the actual price.