• Upcoming Events

NullZwei

Motive Brake Bleeder WARNING

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

If you have one of those handy one-man brake bleeders, be aware the vinyl tubing that runs from the bleeder bottle to the screw on reservoir cap can and DOES deteriorate even though it may look O.K. I don't know if this is a result of it being in contact with the brake fluid or what but it apparently doesn't last indefinitely. This morning as I was preparing to bleed my brakes in preparation for the trip to the V@V, everything looked normal with respect to the Motive bleeder. The hose was pliable and visually appeared to be in good condition. I put a liter of fluid in the bleeder, attached the cap and proceeded to pump up the bottle. At about 12 PSI, the hose suddenly broke off at the reservoir cap. With the brake fluid under pressure and with no quick way to bleed that pressure off, I had brake fluid a lot of places I really didn't want it. Fortunately most of it went on me and the garage floor with only a little on the car which I quickly washed off. By the time I was able to unscrew the cap of the bleeder I probably had lost a pint or more of brake fluid. Needless to say, this isn't a mistake I soon want to repeat. So, if you have one of these bleeders, be very careful of the condition of the hose BEFORE you attempt to use it. Sorry for the lengthy post but hopefully it will prevent someone else from having the same experience I just did.

Yipe. I just used mine two days ago. Perhaps a thorough cleaning with a degreaser to get the brake fluid out after each use is warranted. Thanks for the heads-up.

I've always used the motive container as a source for air pressure and have never put brake fluid in it. I find that I waster too much fluid.

Bob

....poor quality hose - not for brake fluid

my Snap-On pressure bleeder is 15 + years old with

the original hose - no rotting

try replacing your hose with a length of 'blue' WURTH/BMW

brake fluid Res. hose - that should last 30 years

my 15+ year old cheap EZ Bleed system has had no issues, despite weekly use supporting a race car and 4 street cars. i wonder if maybe there was a crack in the hose where it connects to the bottle that caused the spray. not necessarily a bad hose. stuff happens. was it a clean break? a tear? was the hose melted? I know a bunch of folks with motive bleeders and have not heard of this problem before.

regardless of the cause, it is always a good practice to closely inspect your tools on a regular basis..especially those involving pressure or power.

That unit has a design flaw. Because there is no swivel at the cap, the hose is constantly being twisted to get it on and off of the reservoir.

Thanks for the warning!

Good heads up.

Another tip to remember is to have some towels handy and maybe even drape the area. Think I'll borrow the surgical drape holders from work next time I bleed the brakes. Don't think they'll mind in the OR.

I used mine last week, and I checked it again just now. Did your hose break or pop off the barbed fitting?

Depends on your point of view. "Design choice with which you (and I) disagree" would be completely fair, but "flaw" is a little harsh. I'm guessing the Motive product was carefully designed to be a useful bleeder at very low cost, and I think it hits the target. Every time I use mine I say two things to myself: 1) "This is one of my best tool purchases ever" and 2) "I wish there were a swivel joint on the reservoir cap".

Just to clarify, the hose tore right above the connection for the reservoir cap. I do think this has something to do with the way the cap has to be installed without the ability to swivel. BTW, I do inspect my tools routinely. I thought I had sufficiently inspected the hose and it did look O.K. but obviously was not. A quick trip to the hardware store and the hose was replaced. I do agree with C.D. that the vinyl type hose is not the best for brake fluid contact but I didn't have a choice. Once the hose was replaced I proceeded to start the bleeding process again, Once everything was connected, I applied pressure to the bottle. No leak from the hose but now the cap was not sealing to the reservoir under pressure even though I snugged the cap down. The rubber sealing washer in the Motive cap was pliable, had no tears and covered the opening in the reservoir but would not provide a seal. The Motive bleeder in now in the trash. Although I've had great luck with that product in the past, I will not use one again.

I have had the EZ-Bleed a decade ago, and then went to a bigger unit with soft silicone hose. I use it about 20 times per summer and never had a problem. Just don't pump over 10psi or you risk popping a small plastic hose going into the clutch master.

Guest Anonymous
I have had the EZ-Bleed a decade ago, and then went to a bigger unit with soft silicone hose. I use it about 20 times per summer and never had a problem. Just don't pump over 10psi or you risk popping a small plastic hose going into the clutch master.

I use an electric pump to pressurize the reservoir. The pump runs off the battery and all I do is hit the on button to pressurize the fluid reservoir. The hose from the pump to the reservoir cap is whimpy clear tubing but it does not contact the fluid unless I am clumsy. The pump has enough wire length so that I can turn the bleed screw with my right hand and touch the start button with my left hand or a foot. It does require more trips to fill the reservoir, but it does the trick and I can't remember having to discard extra brake fluid. I have also used a mightyvac for the same function, but it gets tiresome fast.

The hose ruptured on my Motive Products Brake Bleeder as well.

As you said, there is no swivel on the cap. You have to move the pressure canister in a circle as you screw the bleeder cap to the brake system to keep from crimping the hose.

Possibly not cleaning the brake fluid out of the hose may have contributed to the failure of the hose

Motive Products sent me a new Brake Bleeder when I tried to order a replacement hose. I do not put brake fluid in the pressure canister any more and things work great!

It is a good product for a reasonable price. A swiveling cap would add $10 to the price.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.