• Upcoming Events

fiftytakedowns

Adapting wiring harness to fit CIS, and new motor??

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,321643/

Thats the prject thread to refer to If I am unclear. But I am swapping in a 320 turbo motor that has the CIS system because of the ease of tuning compared to megasquirt.

The wiring harness/ electrical is the most intimidating for me, and my buddies helping me out.

I was wondering if there is a clear way to cut into the old wiring harness to adapt the new 320 engine wiring harnes that I have, or If I have to completey take out the old 02 wiring harness.

How should I tap into it? where do I tap. A general direction of what is needed to make it work would be great. Thank you.

Kinda depends on the system in the 320i. If it is straight old CIS then there is very little electric going on. If it is LH jetronic then you have to have everything from the 320i, including the ecu to run the frequency valve and the o2 sensor.

As far as your 02 is concerned, You just need to hook up that new alternator from the 320i.

John

Not hard at all. Do you have the complete harness out of the e21? If you don't, get the COMPLETE harness with the male and female portion of the main plug located at the e21 fuse box.

I have the cis system in my car and you're more tahn welcome to check it out.

It's real basic and there is literally 4-6 connections depending on wether you use the harness to get your guage signals.

Cris

IT may be the LH jetronic, because there is an ecu and an 02 sensor, warm up regulator, and a hobbs switch for enrichment under boose. I do have the ECU though for the new wiring harness, I hope that tells alot.

Thank you for your responses.

When I did my car years back, we only had to add one or two wires. All the rest matched up even with the color codes from the 02 to the 320.

If it can wait til tonight, I have some diagrams I made up when I did my car. Wiring, hose routing, etc... Never got around to digitizing, but I do have them in a folder. Just gotta dig them out and put them back in the garage where they belong.

I have teh complete Engine wiring harness, I am not sure to waht extent it goes out to as far as the whole car. I dont have the fuse box yet, but the guy who sold the motor said I prbably wouldnt need it, but If I did, he would throw it in.

Otherwise I guess it seems pretty simple, as long as I dont screw it up.

I do have both th eMAle and Female connectors on the motor and the harness too.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.