• Upcoming Events

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

recommended oil filter and oil

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Can someone give me a recommendation on what type of oil and oil filter i should use? thanks.

Guest Anonymous
Can someone give me a recommendation on what type of oil and oil filter i should use? thanks.

Believe it or not, you are not the first post on this subject. I would suggest looking at the owners manual (if you have one) or any of CD's posts on the subject. As another starter, try this thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,299927/

Seriously, unless this is a very late April 1 post, there seems to be volumes of information on this subject in the archives.

My favorite (for this month at least) Mann filter, Amsoil 20/50 racing (lots of zinc). But any quality filter will do, some here will balk at anything that does'nt come from a BMW dealer (yeah CD I'm talking about you), I'm not on board with that line of thinking, but to each his own. The best oil is clean oil, so change often.

Valvoline 20W50 or Mobil 1 15-50 with BMW, Mann or Purolator filter.

My oil filter housing has "Purolator" stamped in it so it can't be all bad.

I use the Purolator filter when In can't get one of the others.

a couple of suggestions: stick with 20w-50 oil unless you're driving in a cold climate. You'll find less oil consumption with the heavier grade, better oil pressure and generally better lubrication with the heavier oil Remember your engine is bound to have some wear--that means more clearance and the heavier oil will help, esp when the engine is hot.

If you're currently using "regular" oil on an over than new (or nearly new) engine, I wouldn't recommend switching to synthetic oil; it's been known to cause problems.

As for filters, some folks will swear by German filters from the old country, but I've been using Fram, Purolator and occasionally Mann or another German brand for nearly 40 years and haven't had a failure yet--and that includes the -20 morning when I pegged my 150psi oil pressure gauge--didn't even bulge that Puro filter. Just make sure you get the filter number specified for an M10 engine--there are other filters that will fit (one for an Opel, for example), but don't have a pressure relief valve--and they will spilt on a very cold startup.

For the record, my recently rebuilt '73 engine is using 20w-50 Amsoil synthetic; my original 220k mile '69 is using 20W-50 Pennzoil.

mike

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this