• Upcoming Events

craaaazzy

major oil leak from front of engine

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

hey guys,

the 02 i just bought has sprung a major oil leak from the front of the engine (previous owner said it did not leak previously). from what i can tell, it is coming from the front main seal as the crank pulley has drops of oil on inner most portion. not knowing much about this motor (hayes manual is being shipped to me), how hard is it to replace this seal? is it a simple, remove crank pulley, remove and replace seal? or do i need to remove the timing cover (both upper and lower)? tia.

fred

Guest Anonymous
hey guys,

the 02 i just bought has sprung a major oil leak from the front of the engine (previous owner said it did not leak previously). from what i can tell, it is coming from the front main seal as the crank pulley has drops of oil on inner most portion. not knowing much about this motor (hayes manual is being shipped to me), how hard is it to replace this seal? is it a simple, remove crank pulley, remove and replace seal? or do i need to remove the timing cover (both upper and lower)? tia. fred

This issue was recently addressed on the board. Toby suggested it might be possible to remove the seal with leaving the timing case cover installed. Unless you are a magician, you will still need to remove the crank pulley. This can be easily accomplished with a small two or three finger puller. And it will likely require removing the radiator.

Haynes and other manuals are tried and true and would suggest waiting to read the chapter on this repair rather than have others pontificate in the abstract and reinvent the process. Besides, you should review the manual, if for no other reason than to familiarize yourself with other related procedures. With an unknown engine, I might be apt to remove the cover to change the seal AND the water pump, if it questionable.

Good luck.

What he said!

Also, make sure the oil is really coming from the seal-

there are a lot of places on the front timing cover

that can leak, and even the fuel pump's a possible

culprit. So a careful cleaning and some

diagnosis first might save you some aggro.

And it's technically possible for oil to leak up the

keyway on the pulley... I suppose.

t

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.