PatAllen

3HP12 oil cooler, anything you have plz

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am looking to collect either the parts, pictures, location of the oil cooler lines for the automatic 3HP12 found on the 2002.

I know for a fact that some has and some dont, mine dont have it. It has 3 bungs near the bell housing so i dont know which ones takes the in/out for the cooling lines.

Anyone who is parting out an automatic with cooler id be interested to buy the stuff, and shot me pictures of where they connect.

No, realoem do not show clearly which of the 3 bungs it connect to.

thanks for any inputs.

HERE YOU GO .......

2002AUTOCOOLING.jpg

I clearly said realoem was not showing what i wanted.

Guest Anonymous

If I am not mistaken, the bungs are the same as found on the 3hp22 used on the E21, and maybe that will help you. I am pretty sure they are the same on the ZF auto used on the E3 models too. So, I would expect the Blue shop manual would have the more definitive answer.

I have had experience with 2 autos, neither of which had the exterior cooler hoses. One auto has 300k on it when I sold the car and it was still doing fine. I changed the oil and filter routinely. The other car was lost with low miles on it. I can understand why you would want to use the cooler, but from personal experience, I did not have any need for one and I used that car driving through Southern United States and in Mexico, where the temps were probably much warmer than you experience.

I did consider attaching an auxiliary oil cooler on the car since the radiator was did not have the cooling fittings. But I never found the need, even with a modified engine and pulling substantial loads at sustained speed. I even bought a new torque converter and kept a 3HP22 trans on hand for when the transmission would start to slip, but in 30 years, it never gave me a problem (except for the "o" ring where the filler tube connected). I will look through my library and pictures when I get a chance, but I am on holiday and not near them.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

I would think that outfit in Las Vegas would have your answer. Didn't you have a link to a French ZF site? And, as you know, Peugeot used the same trans, so you might find your answer by looking in that direction.

The realoem diagram may indicate which cooling hose goes where, but is the flow path really critical if everything bolts up tight?

Sorry I can't offer more.

the flow path isnt important, whats important is which one out of the 3 bungs to connect the 2 hoses !!

3 bung

2 hose (one in, one out).

And its not just a matter of connecting hoses, the bungs has to be replaced with tubes that reaches the passages into the transmission.

You can barely see it on the realoem diagram.

Good point about the blue book, i actual have the one for the E21...

Pat

One of the authorized ZF rebuilders in America is Peter Schmid. Ask for either Dirk or Wolfgang (everyone there is German). If you don't get an answer on this board, they can answer your questions. I got my last rebuilt auto tranny from them for my ' 75. They are in So. San Francisco and their phone is 650/348-3991. You can also fax them at 650/348-3019.

My last rebuilt tranny from them is a 3HP22. I agree that it probably does not matter which you use for outlet and inlet. The tranny will take care of the circulation, but maybe someone here can get you a picture from the underside so you'll see which bungs to use.

Bob Napier

Good point about the blue book, i actual have the one for the E21...

To me, the picture in the E21 book looks quite different.

Here's the picture for 2002 AT cooler hose attachments:

at_cooler001.jpg