Biemenstien

Best & Brightest Bulbs

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Has anybody got any recommendations for Tail light replacement bulbs?

I am looking for something a little brighter than OEM, I have tried L.E.D.s they concentrate the light but don't diffuse it properly to make the tail light lens glow.

Thanks,

You might try Daniel Stern Lighting, he returns email quickly and I think he has bulbs that are 40% brighter, dont know for sure tho as I havent bought any yet.

Bill

Guest Anonymous

Amazing what a good cleaning will do.

Also check the voltage at the lights. If there's a significant voltage drop between the VR output and your lights the lights won't be as bright. As always - Check Your Grounds. There's at least one in the trunk area that could add resistance to the lighting circuit if its not shiny clean.

Several talented FAQers have posted photos of their work. Here's one example -

OldLeft.jpg

OldLeftCleaners.jpg

OldLeftMaguiresPlasticClean.jpg

San Francisco traffic and the end of daylight savings time last year prompted me to explore lighting also. I got bulbs from Candlepower Inc at http://store.candlepower.com/. Some of the bulbs have increased wattage than stock, but I haven't had any problems with melted lenses on my 72:

Brake, rear turn signal and reverse lights

3497 Stanley

12V 27W

BA15s

Single filament

Tail light

12V 10W

BA15s

Single filament

Turn signal, front

3497 Stanley

12V 27W

BA15s

Single filament (Euro turn signal lenses). If you have a dual filament 1157 on a US-spec lens, you might try P3496, a 21/5W.

Parking light, front

17097 Narva

12V 3W

W2.1x9.5d

Single filament, for 90 degree socket I rigged on my Euro lenses

After running the above bulbs for awhile, I went ahead and tackled the refurbishment of the reflectors with krylon chrome paint, which helped.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,303904/

Silver tape may accomplish the same thing as the paint.

William