• Upcoming Events

Gordon

I'm a sick puppy, I bought another one today

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I bought another one today, I'm a sick puppy but I couldn't pass this one up. Pierre gave me a heads up about a 91 318is with 136K that the owner died and the daughter is selling it. I contacted the daughter and arranged to look at the car in Santa Ynez (near Solvang, about 30 minutes away from me). It's a black 91 318is, gray cloth sport seats, 15" Borbet wheels with Kumho tires. The dash is crack free, no dents on the exterior. Seats are in excellent condition (sheep skins seatcovers are on them), I bought it for $500. One problem, the daughter never registered the car non-op after her father died so the DMV will want close to $500 in back fees, (I checked with the DMV yesterday). The sticker on the license plate is 2006. Of course I couldn't drive it for a road test since with no current registration but I did start it up and let it run for a few minutes and no problems. Then the daughter says, I think there are some extra parts under a tarp over here. I find a complete set of 5 lug 15" BBS Mahle wheels which would look perfect on my E28. I offer her an extra $100 for the wheels and she accepts. Then she says, I may have some extra parts in the house. In a box I find six 7" H4 lights, to include two Cibie H4's still in a unopened box, perfect for my 2002. I offer $50 for the lights and she accepts. I couldn't pass that deal up even though I have a set of Cibie H4's on my tii already.

I'm having the car delivered to 2002 Haus on Friday, where Rob will get the car ready for a smog test. Even the though the seller is responsible for smog test here in CA, the daughter was clueless and was almost ready to donate the car to charity before I stepped in. I didn't want to push my luck and have her say screw it, don't want to deal with it, and have her call a charity to haul it away.

I'll probably sell my 86 325 with 290K on it when I get the 91 318is on the road. All in all, a good day I must admit.

G-Man

91 318i (girlfriend DD)

89 325i (RIP)

86 325 (youngest daughters DD)

85 525e Euro spec (oldest daughters DD)

81 528i Euro spec

74 2002tii (many mods)

70 E3 2800 Euro spec

Did you pick up the other "7 H-4 Headlights?

If so how much would you sell a pair for?

Thanks

Edwin

500 for a 91 318is? damn, nice score. those are great cars. all the advantages of the 325is, in a lighter weight. those things are pretty hard to find.

lemme know--drop me an e-mail at work.

Great score, BTW. But I can't believe California charges you NOT to drive a car! What a crock! You'd think they'd pay YOU not to register/drive it...

Wonder what would happen if you pulled a 35 Bugatti out of a barn in Southern California that hadn't been registered since the owner went off to WW II back in 1942...would the new owner have to pay 67 years worth of back registrations?

Yecch

mike

....I can't believe California charges you NOT to drive a car! What a crock! You'd think they'd pay YOU not to register/drive it...

Wonder what would happen if you pulled a 35 Bugatti out of a barn in Southern California that hadn't been registered since the owner went off to WW II back in 1942...would the new owner have to pay 67 years worth of back registrations?

Yecch

mike

memory serves, to put a vehicle ON non-op costs all of $5, the non-op does NOT have to be renewed annually, and fees don't accrue while the car is in non-op status. As long as it's caught before the annual renewal comes due, all you've got to do is check a box on the registration form & send it in with the non op fee.

I got a reminder notice for the last car I had on non-op every year at the time when the regular renewal would otherwise have otherwise been due, so I suspect that non-op'ed vehicles may not drop off the DMV's records after a few years like ones with non-renewed registrations do (given CA's recurring budget issues, I'm amazed that the legislature hasn't added an annual non-op fee).

Don't know if it's still in effect or not, but there used to be a penalty exemption for vehicles more than 25 years old that had been put in storage "while awaiting restoration" - the counter people wouldn't offer it, but if asked, the exemption was available.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.