• Upcoming Events

mpap89

tie rod puzzle

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

i'm replacing my tie rods and center link today and i seem to have run into a puzzle. i've removed each outside end of the tie rods but it seems like there is no angle that i get to the center link with my pickle fork. any suggestions. or if someone in marin wants to give a hand, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Michael

i'm replacing my tie rods and center link today and i seem to have run into a puzzle. i've removed each outside end of the tie rods but it seems like there is no angle that i get to the center link with my pickle fork. any suggestions. or if someone in marin wants to give a hand, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Michael

somebody local should you bring you a big hammer and hit the joint on the SIDE to shock it loose, since you don't need the pickle fork. It helps to swing the steering box so that the pittman arm rests against the little stop on the frame, then hit it in the side kinda hard with the hammer. It takes a few whacks before you get used to it, but its way way easier than a pickle fork or any kind of puller device.

Guest Anonymous

The ball joint from the pitman arm to the center drag link can be removed with a 'pitman arm puller." Harbor Freight in Union City, CA has them for

less than $19. (Note: the puller from BavAuto designed for the ball joints, does not fit the center ball joint on the pitman arm.)

the hammer trick worked. that took way longer than i was expecting. i'm happy i won't be doing that again for a while. thanks for the help.

Michael

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.