2002Monster

This can't be good.......now what?

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm really lost for words on this whole car right about now.....

One thing after another....I just can't take it anymore.....

I think I'm going to have to forget about V at the V this year....again....

So do I need to get new journal bearings?

Or should I just send my engine away to get done professionally.?

Anybody out there can build my engine for me? All the parts are there...it just needs a professional to know what they're doing...

Thanks

Mike

post-2347-13667605392921_thumb.jpg

Yep those are done! Sucks when your car fights you at every turn.

Step back take a deep breath, get a little Zen and get back to it.

I second that Mike.

Take the weekend off. Relax. Don't think about the car as it will piss you off.

Next week crack at it. You were inteligent enough to rebuild a motor. You just skipped a procedure. Next time you know you won't.

Forget deadlines. If its not ready for the V@V we'll still get you there if you want to go.

yeah. ive been there. it gets better after you get over the hump though. how hard would it be to find a good assembled local motor?

You can do it but you need to adjust your attitude. Building a performance engine is not something you just rush through. You need to check, double check and triple check everything. Cleanliness and correct torques are important there.

Now since your bearings have lost material it's everywhere inside the engine. All the oil passages should be cleaned, crank journals checked and so on.

Tommy

As mentioned above, step back and take a "vacation" from your engine project. When I get really frustrated, I feel better if I don't do anything on the car for a couple of days.

Building a non-stock engine always takes more time to ensure it will perform properly (and think clean during the rebuild).

Don't worry about the V@V deadline - it's supposed to be (and is) a low key event, not a concours show.

Review the rebuild of the head. If something was missed at the top end you get oil flow but no pressure.

I purchased all the parts and then had a professional engine builder do the job. Well worth the cost. After investing over $3000 in parts, it seemed like a good move to have someone who has build & installed 100's of engines put it together. Your own engine is not the place to learn advanced auto mechanics. Sorry! Thats my opinion. You are just lucky you did not work on the brakes as well. My advice is don't try it yourself again, get a pro to do it. Save money, time, and hair.

Hey don't feel bad.

Many years ago I developed a hobby of buying MB 240 and 300D's that were at that time maybe 10-12 years old. The bodies were fine but the heads for some reason tended to carbon up and foul. Some people just put the cars and wagons up for sale and I picked them up for usually $600-800 bucks, stripped the head, off to the machine shop for a quick dip and maybe guides and seals (sometimes valves) and presto back on, running clean and fine and sold to someone else for a nice profit.

One I decided to keep so since it had 150k miles I did the big end bearings, and renewed every single hose and gasket, etc.

Except for the braided lines to the oil cooler which I balked at since they were like a c note apeice and looked fine.

Took a trip up to Boston on I 84 and coming home doing maybe 75-80 mph (downhill) all of a sudden the windshield was covered with oil, and I shut down and checked and of course it was the oil cooler feed hose.

Towed back for close to $400 and next weekend I dropped the pan, dropped the caps and did a quick & dirty job of pushing the old bearings thru using the new ones. Done in about 2 hours closed it up and drove it for a year or so before selling it. I didn't spin the bearings but I (did once on a Peugeot diesel) wanted tto be sure.

Mike the crank in a couple of places (90 & 45 degrees) on each journal so you can see if you have any ovality, no sense putting new bearings in until you're sure the crank is OK.

Good luck

I disagree with Mike_R. You can do this. Go slow. Be careful. Check everything. If you are in doubt - shoot a post to the board, or have some other really good reference manual (like the blue books). I've done things on all of my cars that I would have never thought possible. Even brakes!

Ken

I purchased all the parts and then had a professional engine builder do the job. Well worth the cost. After investing over $3000 in parts, it seemed like a good move to have someone who has build & installed 100's of engines put it together. Your own engine is not the place to learn advanced auto mechanics. Sorry! Thats my opinion. You are just lucky you did not work on the brakes as well. My advice is don't try it yourself again, get a pro to do it. Save money, time, and hair.

Mike R, I built the whole car and installed the 5-speed conversion myself, did the brakes myself, plumbed in the brake lines myself, installed the front and rear windows myself (the rope trick), installed doors, hood, trunk, trim, suspension, diff, fuel lines (new), gas tank, everything.....myself....

So if you are saying that my brakes are going to fail next, then I might as well just sell her as is and buy a Honda Civic Hybrid and just enjoy the ride.....

The best way to learn new things is to do it. Mistakes are

bound to happen, don't let it get you down. It's sucks sometimes

because some mistakes are costly and time consuming to fix, but

it's part of the process. I'm sure you can talk to ANY professional

engine builder, and they will have their own horror stories of

things they have botched back in the day. Failure is the first step

on the path of success...

its hard to learn but easy when you know. i had an old rabbit that i thought it would be a good idea to pop off the timing belt and change the cam timing for more top end power. thats when i learned the term "interference motor". didnt know the p.o. had milled the head to 11:1 compression. i now know a lot more about head removal and installation now.

Mike R, I built the whole car and installed the 5-speed conversion myself, did the brakes myself, plumbed in the brake lines myself, installed the front and rear windows myself (the rope trick), installed doors, hood, trunk, trim, suspension, diff, fuel lines (new), gas tank, everything.....myself....

So if you are saying that my brakes are going to fail next, then I might as well just sell her as is and buy a Honda Civic Hybrid and just enjoy the ride.....

Oh well in that case I take it back. Hell you are an experienced Wrench. I guess It must have been a simple mistake. So you might as well just do it over again like you said. Sorry for the doubt of your abilities

wrenching for over 30 years....my father started me off when I was 5 years old....

The rest of the car looks great...

On everyones advice, I haven't touched the car all weekend....and I don't think I'll start til Tuesday, just for good measure....

Going to start priming the nursery today...maybe get some paint on the walls.

Mike

post-2347-1366760545352_thumb.jpg

post-2347-13667605455164_thumb.jpg

post-2347-13667605455939_thumb.jpg

post-2347-13667605457678_thumb.jpg