• Upcoming Events

repoman

Any way to fix the broken speedo needle

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I know it is a common problem where the needle breaks off and then spins out of control when driving.

Any fixes other than replacing it?

Is it the needle that's broken or the cable? The last time I snapped a cable it did what you describe; either a few strands of the cable were still hanging on or the two ends where it broke were still rubbing.

Anyway, it can't hurt to take apart your speedo and see if you can fix it (I was able to) and you can't exactly hurt it more.

Jono

Your speedo is f#$%ed.

Send to north hollywood speedometer.

Cheers,

Ray

Why yes, there is a way to fix a broken speedo needle. My needle just busted off one day, so I took it apart and glued the pointy half of one of those little cocktail swords onto it. Believe it or not, the weight was perfect and the speedo is balls on dead accurate with my GPS...

post-67-13667605435506_thumb.jpg

Is it the needle that's broken or the cable? The last time I snapped a cable it did what you describe; either a few strands of the cable were still hanging on or the two ends where it broke were still rubbing.

Anyway, it can't hurt to take apart your speedo and see if you can fix it (I was able to) and you can't exactly hurt it more.

Jono

The needle is broken off.....there is just a little stub there now that spins around without stopping (as long as the car is in motion).

I haven't taken the cluster out as yet, but will shortly, however, as other have chimed in, I think I am screwed.....especiallly since I had two extra clusters and sold both on ebay last month....

spears!

I've fixed a broken off needle by simply epoxying the pieces back together and painting the thing white with some model airplane paint. I think I reinforced the backside with a bit of copper wire or as cutdown toothpick. Needle's a little shorter than stock, but no one notices and the speedo's accurate. Been holding for ten or so years now...

mike

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.