• Upcoming Events

sheggaw

Re registering a 76 as an older year in CA

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

good to be here again....

I am picking a nice '76 for close to nothing and I have a plan to keep it for as long as possible. One of the options I am looking at is to wait the 6 or 7 years so that the info would drop out of the DMV records and go back to register it as a '74 or '75.

Right now the owner lost all the paper work but it was last registered about two years ago....

what do you all think about that? it is in CA therefore there is no way I am going to register it as a 76.

Can I ask why you want to register it as a '74 or a '75? Is it because 1976 cars have to be smogged? What I've experienced at the DMV is they keep the records for about 10 years. So if it was registered 2 years ago, they still think it is a 1976.

Just my thoughts...

Jim

Ask yourself if fraud is really what you want to be doing. There are straighter, easier ways to proceed with this one. Why won't it pass smog? If it's modified or worn beyond recovery, find another '76 engine and drop it in.

Park it and let it gather dust, or sell it to someone out of state who will appreciate it now? Easy for me - sell it. Use the money to get a '74 or '75 if you still want a square light. It's still just a machine, after all. You'll fall for a car that you can drive without pulling any stunts just as easily as this one.

Just my '02 cents.

good to be here again....

I am picking a nice '76 for close to nothing and I have a plan to keep it for as long as possible. One of the options I am looking at is to wait the 6 or 7 years so that the info would drop out of the DMV records and go back to register it as a '74 or '75.

Right now the owner lost all the paper work but it was last registered about two years ago....

what do you all think about that? it is in CA therefore there is no way I am going to register it as a 76.

Yer already BUSTED. You just posted it on a international board, unless Cali has different laws than Michigan.

Still trying to figure why you would want to?

Before my '75 was smog exempt, I installed a 2.0 with e30 318i injection, installed a cat and fuel nozzle restrictor. I then took it a state inspection station to test and was able to smog it and register it legally.

You'll get better fuel economy and run way cleaner than a carbed car too.

Cris

It won't pass smog! I am not going to tear it down. I have driven the car before...it has sunroof and of all the squaries, the 76 is the better year and it is worth keeping it. I have done my own car registration that I had about 10 years ago and when I took it to the DMV, they did not have an ounce of info and they actually asked me what year it was and I had all the right info therefore gave them and it was registered. How else can I save this car? All the smog crap has long gone. Besides, I am saving it for my son, I will deal with it down the road. For now, unless there will be a better option, I am covering it and keeping it in the back of the garage for the next 6 years!

I am saving this one.... AND PAINT it INKA later on...

74 VINs run 4220001-4230601; 75s run 2360001-2367750; 76s run 2370001-2380000 and 2740001-2745584.

So...unless you're gonna change the VINs on the car, they're gonna know soon as they check that VIN in their computer.

You might be able to pull it off, but...hate to see you get caught; you might get the car confiscated or face criminal charges.

mike

Mike,

unfortunately, they do not get into the details that deep. When they saw the car had a 7 digit vin on my previous registration, they asked me if there was additional # somewhere. Then I told them that was it. They have no record once the registration drops off in about 6 years. That is what I am gambling on. If they say that was the case, then I would just tell them then that is how I bought it and it will be the end of it...

CA DMV registration process as a 74/75, when and if the DMV does figure out that they've got the wrong model year assigned to the car, they have the option to correct the error, and it immediately becomes subject to emissions testing.

The problem you're most likely to run into after the car drops off the DMV's records is that when you do go to the DMV to re-register it, you're going to have to either provide the old registration / title paperwork (which will immediately ID it as a 76), OR the DMV will want to inspect the car and run a VIN search (which is usually pretty detailed, and is very likely to ID it as a 76 as well).

Obviously your call, but personally, I'd hate to pin a bunch of time, money and effort on the DMV making what's essentially an error that they can reverse at any time at my expense......

last VIN all the way back to Henry's first Model T in a database somewhere.

Even OH had the VIN on my 73 when it had to be smog checked--1 month before it hit 25 years old and was exempted. Of course they tried to tell me it was a '74 until I showed them the factory VIN listing and the e-mail from BMW with its Dec 72 build date...not to mention the title and 24 years of registrations...

mike

Once it falls out of the DMV record keeping system, it is gone forever. However, as stated that may take 6 or 7 years. Once it does disappear, all you need is a VIN Verification Form signed by a police officer. And if you happen to have a pair of blue license plates, that are also not in the system, add that to the VIN form as well.

Once it falls out of the DMV record keeping system, it is gone forever. However, as stated that may take 6 or 7 years. Once it does disappear, all you need is a VIN Verification Form signed by a police officer. And if you happen to have a pair of blue license plates, that are also not in the system, add that to the VIN form as well.

Come to California to launder your stolen cars! Yeehah!

In CA do you have to have the title or a bill of sale? Here (GA) a title isn't needed on cars earlier than '86 -

--- this is just my imagination -- that pad on top of the steering column has the VIN - get one from a '75 and swap it out - get a bill of sale with that VIN - when the DMV ppl go look - show them that VIN and there you go --

I'm not a criminal -- but I do have an imagination -- anyone else know why that wouldn't work? - on my car... a '76 with a motor from a '75... I could of showed them any of the numbers - but hey... I'm in Georgia -- they were totally amazed that I only had 7 digits -

good luck --

Just register the car outside of the metro areas. My sister lives in Crecent City (almost Oregon) and has never had a smog exam.

That having been said, I have a '76 that is registered as a '73 due to a mistake at the DMV. I just let the typo go. I lived in LA at the time and that was a huge boon for me. It took 4 years for ALL to drop off at the DMV but things may have changed. I have always felt wierd about the car not being exactly right. Tile is wrong, insurance is wrong, registration is wrong. I sometimes feel that I am lying to cover more lies. I would hate to get in an accident and find out I was not covered. In the end I have moved to another state and still have the '73 reg because it was going to be too hard to change. Besides I may move back to Cali. one day.

Brent

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.