Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Is it me, or is the Z4 just the ugliest BMW ever? Saw 1 toda

25 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

but I have two 02s now also

Guest Anonymous

In about 10 years, I wouldn't mind picking one up cheap. Same with the Z3. When they get down to $2500, I'm looking.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

leftrearoutsidesmall.jpg

URL: http://www.classicautosalvage.com/~lfloden/

They have one at one of the mall here in KC and was able to walk around it and look at everything. I think it is sexy and different. Plus it will keep the people away that just want a BMW, because they won't like the looks. I almost think that is what BMW was going for, get rid of the people that don't buy BMW for driving. Or at least put them in a different BMW.

Guest Anonymous

...I thought so too, until I really looked at the photos in the December Roundel. I'm afraid it's growing on me. I'm still not sure about the hard crease in the front fender, even if it does carry through the A-pillar line, and I'm not a big fan of the "ducktail" rear spoiler/CHMSL. But overall, I think I'm starting to like it.

And the new Siebener? I'm actually finding that my issue with it is that there's not ENOUGH trunk! The passenger compartment is too far back, so the trunk is too short -- it kind of has the feel of the flatback Cadillac of the '80s (the Seville?). Otherwise, I don't mind it too much. Not that I'll be in the market for a 2003 7-series before, oh, 2023, when they're worth about $300 because iDrive keeps crashing.

Do I need counseling?

-Dave

colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

...that I'm glad that BMW has taken a bold step in their new designs. After the criticism that they got in the late seventies and early eighties for their "evolutionary" (read "backwards") front end designs, they now have a product that is fresh, distinctive, and agressive that befits it's image. (And yes, that includes price.) It takes a lot to commit to new design in the automotive world (or any world, for that matter)that is dominated by linear-thinking engineers and pragmatic management, and Chris Bangle has done remarkably well in fast-forwarding new design out of BMWs past doldrums.

Personally, I'm tired of the "carved out of raindrop" appearance of Japanese and American cars. Their attempts at "being different" have brought us vehicles like the Aztek and the Rendezvous. I'd like to say I like the new Celica and the new Nissan Z, but their "shaped out of tomorrow" will look "dated" the day after tomorrow.

Bottom line...The Z4 will likely be the benchmark for other new automobile designs. Stay tuned.

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Julius")

Guest Anonymous

Of course if I had a spare $40k kickin around I'd restore a couple more '02's.

Guest Anonymous

How would you like to pull some dents out of those lines and have them come out right?

Guest Anonymous

Not seen one in the metal yet so I'm reserving

judgement, but it's certainly no 'me too' design.