• Upcoming Events

ol'_rusty

Poly Bushing Install Questions...

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am installing poly bushings on the front suspension of my '75. I don't feel like they came with enough grease for the job. Is 100% silicon grease right for the job? If so is there a particular type? I've got a tube of dielectric grease, wondering if I can use that?

And I just want to verify, leave the original bushing sleeves in the arm...right?

There are some uneven spots on the sleeves...should I use some fine emery cloth to smooth them down?

I am installing poly bushings on the front suspension of my '75. I don't feel like they came with enough grease for the job. Is 100% silicon grease right for the job? If so is there a particular type? I've got a tube of dielectric grease, wondering if I can use that?

And I just want to verify, leave the original bushing sleeves in the arm...right?

There are some uneven spots on the sleeves...should I use some fine emery cloth to smooth them down?

What brand of parts do you have?

The best grease for this is the stuff from Energy Suspension.

You can purchase a little jar of it if you need more. A little bit goes a long way, usually ES provides enough for the job.

The reason this specific grease is desirable is because it is very "tenacious" and will stay in place for a long time. It is so sticky & thick, it's nearly impossible to wash off your hands, so be fore-warned and wear latex gloves.

Dielectric grease is not a good substitute, and common silicone brake grease is not quite as resistant to washing off as the stuff ES sells.

If you are asking about outer sleeves for the front control arm bushings, I don't think they are part of the stock rubber bushes, so maybe you are looking at the "sleeve" that is part of the arm itself? I could be remembering these parts wrong, but I don't recall outer sleeves on the stock or aftermarket bushings anywhere on the front suspension.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.11104

lower control arms and the subframe (where the radius rod fastens just below the bottom edge of the nose panel), not part of the bushing.

The OEM rubber front suspension bushings all have inner steel sleeves, but the outer edges of the bushings are rubber. That said, it would make sense to feel around inside the mounting holes for rust, rough spots etc and make sure they're smooth before installing the new bushings.

cheers

mike

If they squeek too much after you have them installed, go my a motorcycle place and buy a can of Chain lube - it sprays on thin and penetrates, then the light carriers evaporate and it becomes an excellent grease.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.