• Upcoming Events

TTyMiller

What paint to use to...

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

black out my window chrome. It's oxidized and I'm not into repairing or replacing it, plus the car is white and Jim sweet 73 Malaga gave me the idea of just blacking it out; because the car is white and will look fine. So if anyone has done this or you have suggestions for which paint to use please let me know.

thanks

is often used to shadowline the later cars' trim. You need to scuff the aluminum with a Scotchbrite to ensure adhesion.

SEM is available at bodyshop suppliers - try Mattos in our area. I get it in Winchester.

black out my window chrome. It's oxidized and I'm not into repairing or replacing it, plus the car is white and Jim sweet 73 Malaga gave me the idea of just blacking it out; because the car is white and will look fine. So if anyone has done this or you have suggestions for which paint to use please let me know.

thanks

dont do it!!

Thats an expensive decision, better make damn sure that you want to do it.

But i have seen some good results with it painted black.

An easy cheap fix for that is at Home Depot. Get a roll of aluminum tape from the plumbing section, clean the area well, then lay the aluminum tape down evenly across the afflicted area, keeping the tape wrinkle free as you go. Use an exacto knife and carefully trim the edges. It will press down into the channel as you do. When you're done, if you took your time and did it well, no one will be the wiser unless they are two feet away and even then they'd have to be looking for it.We've done this on a few street cars and it works well if you have the patience.

HTH

-s

Sorry, disregard. I thought you were talking about the chrome lock strip in the window seal.

if you decide you don't like it is to use aerosol Plastic Dip, a rubbery coating, found at Lowe's or the Depot.

It will peel off along with the masking/painter's tape so remove the tape before coating is fully dry. Apparently overspray comes off easily. Use several thin coats.

Here's a thread where E28ers are using it:

http://mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=61046&highlight=shadow

Guest Anonymous

what is the best way to polish the trim?

I've used SEM Trim Black to "reblack" several cars I've painted. It has stood up well, even after several years in the Texas sun! I recently got some Duplicolor trim black...AVIOD! Came out of the car like a gushing firehose, impossible to control.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.