TonyHavana

Rubber trailing arm bushings?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Do these look like the correct bushings?

I'm going back to rubber from poly urethane, and just wanted to make sure these are the right ones.

I got them from the local dealership, but they look a lot different from the poly ones I got from Ireland a few years ago.

TIA

Tony

post-1307-13667605287171_thumb.jpg

post-1307-13667605289148_thumb.jpg

with the arms still on the car?

I.e. remove the bolts from the leading edges of the arms, pull the old bushings out and press new ones in, then reattach and torque down?

How about the ones at the stub axle end? Anyone done this?

mike

Thanks Blunt, and thanks for providing the part numbers.

FYI, I paid 23.92 each for 2 of them and 34.96 for the other 2. Before taxes. Must be old/new pricing.

Anyway I didn't contest the difference as I think the parts guy gave me his staff discount, as he really likes my car:)

I.e. remove the bolts from the leading edges of the arms, pull the old bushings out and press new ones in, then reattach and torque down?

mike

i dunno, maybe i guess . i wouldnt do it. of course i do things the caveman way. i dont have any fancy press's or specialty tools. i make what i need out of washers and threaded rod. its a whole lot easier if you pull the trailing arms. youd have to disconnect the entire arm from the subframe and it would be a real pain i think

I got them from the local dealership, but they look a lot different from the poly ones I got from Ireland a few years ago.

Just curious why you are going back to rubber. Were you unsatisfied with poly? Did they wear out? How long were you running them?

I am about to install poly, would like to know your thoughts....

A side question about the poly bushings...do I leave the bushing sleeves in?

Mike, I wouldn't try the R&R with rubber bushings. There's just too

mugh force involved, and sometimes they're really stuck in there.

Changing the hard bushings, though, might be possible- they just slip

out and back in.

You'd have to unload the rear spring somehow- there's not a lot of room

in there for a spring compressor.

You'd save having to open the brake system

and unhooking the driveshaft, shock and parking brake-

that's not a huge job,

versus handling that spring...

hmmm...

t

A couple of thoughts. I would recommend poly bushings only for race/ autoX use, for street stick to rubber. I have replaced these bushings while the subframe was on the car by using a puller devised with a long bolt with washers and a sleeve from galvanized pipe. The trick is to use silicone spray as a lub (it is far superior to soapy water etc.).

Another caveat is to watch the orientation of the pivot arm bolts (that attach the trailing arms to the subframe)--I have noticed on several sites for restoration projects that had these bolts installed with the their heads on the outside of the bracket (away from the diff). Not a good idea since you won't be able to remove the bolts to retract the trailing arm should the time arise--always install the nuts on the outside.

Just curious why you are going back to rubber. Were you unsatisfied with poly? Did they wear out? How long were you running them?

I am about to install poly, would like to know your thoughts....

A side question about the poly bushings...do I leave the bushing sleeves in?

I find the poly bushings just too stiff. And they squeak....alot.

The streets I have to drive on are in such bad shape these days, that I feel I am beating up the rest of my car because of the poly bushings. I am, however, going to keep my poly motor, tranny and diff bushings in. I can put up with the vibrations these cause.

mike

I am in the process of doing this now, i got the right side after good struggle,

the left is turning out to be more trouble, will finish the left side tomorrow.

Getting them out is the easy part, getting the arms back in with the bushing's the hard part, alot of Patience and such.

Pulled the spring and and the shock and loosened the bushing on the end and the attachment to the body, as well as loosening the sway bar bushings. This was for the right side.

Left side is being more of a challenge and having to pull the shock and the half shaft so far. VERY FUN!

Just finished on the left side, what a pain. Again getting the bushings out was the easy part and putting them in was easy. the hard part it installing the arm in with the new bushings. pulled the half shaft shock, spring and finally got the arm in and lined up. Did not mess with the brake line or the E-brake cable. Time for a cruise