• Upcoming Events

scestes

Visit to Nasa/Ames

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

This campus is full of cool wind tunnels and huge hangars. I've been working on site quite a bit lately on a project and asked security if I was allowed to take my camera for a stroll on the grounds to photograph some of the more interesting buildings. "So long as you're not taking pictures inside of buildings or of open doors or open hangar doors" he told me. Works for me. I only had around 30 min today, I'm gonna take more time later this week, but I grabbed a few shots of the car in front of their huge wind tunnel and one of the large hangars.

IMG_7566.sized.jpg

IMG_7632.sized.jpg

More here.

http://gallery.xfiler.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=2002-NASA

Hrmmm. Wind tunnel testing on a 2002....

Cool looking structures, but it would be nice to see what's going on inside. Hopefully they will let you take a peak, even if you're not allowed to take photos.

I know what NASA stands for, but AMES?

As a high schooler, I got to tour NASA-AMES and stand in some of the wind tunnels. In the '70's, they had one of the largest wind tunnels in the world, and one of the fastest. The large one would hold half-scale aircraft models and achieve air velocity over 200 mph (that's what they told us). I think it has six really big fans (12' dia???, don't recall exactly) There was quite a boneyard of aircraft models out back somewhere.

The big hangers (they're really big, you can play NFL football inside!) were built originally to house blimps in the '30s. In the right weather conditions, clouds will form inside the hangers.

I've gotta go work out there again today. Gonna take the camera again and remember to take my polarizer this time. They are actually tearing down one of the smallest wind tunnels there right now. I'm curious what they're going to put in it's place. There is so much empty land on this campus, they must have something planned for that location.

let me know when you are here again, we can do lunch at St. Johns. May be we can get a few locals to show up too. I know Jan is close by. I work across the street.

steve

Oh, I'm in the south bay regularly. My offices are over off of Boregas. I'll let you know when I'm down this way next tho for sure. St Johns is yummy.

Alright, so I had about an hour and a half worth of spare time today after I finished my job. I grabbed a bunch of pics today, and I'm really liking some of them. I'll sort through them here shortly after I finish dinner and post some more.

edit: Actually, here is a sample.

IMG_7903.sized.jpg

The wind tunnels there are totally cool. If you ever get a chance to tour them, jump on it. I went with an IEEE group years ago.

"[The NASA Ames Research] Center was established in 1939 as the second laboratory of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, and was named for the chair of the NACA, Joseph S. Ames."

More info here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/about/overview.html

Incredible cool pictures Scott. I love how the wide angle distorts the car. Consider posting them in: http://www.flickr.com/groups/02/pool/

I'd never seen that group before. There was already a pic of my car in that group. Some woman stated my car was an automotive resemblance of her. I posted some of my pics there. Thanks Michael. How is the car coming along? Care to go for a drive soon?

My dad had his office in the big hanger back in the 70's. I used to be all over that place. We used to get the best seats for the Blue Angels.

After he retired, he went to work at Nasa/Ames. Got my 6th grade class a tour of the big wind tunnel.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.