Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Lug Nuts for Alloys and Coolant Hoses for Sidedrafts

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi all, I was wondering what the correct procedure is for using alloys. I bought some alloys and they are just flat where the lug nuts go (as opposed to the lip that steel wheels have). Obviously I can't use the tapered lug nuts with these, so what is the correct method? Can I just use the same lug nuts, but turn them around so that the flat side is on the wheel?

Also, I have a question about coolant hoses and sidedrafts. Currently I have the 320i metal bypass tube, but I just have a piece of flexible coolant hose going from the back of that around to the outlet at the back of the head (so I'm bypassing the heater). Now I want to hook up the heater again, so I need some hoses for that. Is there a standard part that will go from the 320i coolant hose to the drivers side heater outlet? Or is generic flexible hose the way to go? Thanks,

Eddy

Guest Anonymous

No you cannot use the standard 60 degree conical seat lug nuts, even if you turned them backwards. You would not get very far before hearing loud clunking sounds and watching your wheels roll away from your car..;p)

This type of lug seat (or lack of one) is not a feature of all alloys, in fact most of the wheels for our cars come with standard (tapered) 60 deg conical seats & can use a regular bulge-type lug nut with the same angle.

No one can tell you what you need without you saying what you have: What brand wheel? What size hole? Is there a recess for a lug washer?

My best guess is that you have a wheel that uses a "shouldered" lug nut, these are often called "mag" wheel lug nuts. The hole size in your wheel probably is quite a bit larger than the normal 02 wheel, and may have a flat face. The most common size of "mag" wheel lug has a shouldered shank diameter of 0.684", does that look like what would fit in your wheel? Remember that the 02 has wheel studs with M12x1.5 threads and your lugs must match that part as well as fit the wheel. If this description matches what you have, I'd reccomend buying a set of "chrome mag std. open lug" (M12x1.5).