• Upcoming Events

jr02518

Sunday, April 26th at El Toro, CA

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

This Sunday there will be a test and tune event at the retired Air base, El Toro , California.

I will be driving my '02 and would be happy to answer any questions about the SCCA and BMWCCA events that are run in our area. We provide a framework that allows cars of different levels of preperation the opportunity to drive as fast your car can go and still get around a corner. On coure there no black and white's to avoid, just cones.

I am surprised at the level of car preperation that some on this board build their cars and limit their driving to the street. Information on the SCCA events can be found at www.solo2.com , check it out.

David Barrish

Dave,

What goes on at El Toro? What is the base being used for and what auto events do they allow there? I was stationed at El Toro from 78 to 81. Most of my time was spent in one of the old hangers (VMA-311) closest to the runway on the west side of the base. Thanks

The base was decommissioned and turned over to the county and local cities.

The runways are used for a number of club events and magazine testing activities. The combination of concrete and tarmac provide one of the best venues that we have access to run events. The amount of real estate provides courses longer than you can hold your breath running. You might laugh at that but they end up north of 85 second runs at full tilt.

The taxie ways are used to park RV's. Thousand's of them.

At one time the runways were to be ground up and the area developed. The contractor started on the north leg of the east runway. He made some passes to grind up the concrete and left the job. Care to guess how thick the run ways are?

DB

What time and where on the base?

I am planning on leaving Irvine at 5 AM to do the Tax Run in Camarillo/Ojai. I was going to go to Pomona... but a chance to drive the 02 on the Tax Run is more enticing.

I might stop by on my return and check out what is going on. I live in the Northwood part of Irvine... about 2 miles away from the entrance off Sand Canyon.

Brian Foster

74 02

Arg, can't make it to irvine this weekend, I'm there about once a month though...

Last I looked into it, you have to sign up for a club, and then an SCCA membership, and then the autox? is that right? Which club are you in?

Brian,

I will be at El Toro before 9 on Sunday and should be on site until 5. The format will be a combination work/run/tune event. It is looking like three cars, so far, will be there to enjoy the day.

See you there.

David Barrish

David,

The path to joining is highlighted on the web site: www.solo2.com

I am a member of PSCC, Pacific Sports Car Club. Some of the clubs are based around a specific make of car; GRA based on Corvettes, the Morgan club, other clubs are groups of friendly competitors that enjoy giving each other a competitive bad time.

The SCCA provides the insurance and overall guidelines that the events run by, your membership can be started on a one time basis that will cover your first event.

If you are bring the "02 our next event, May 3rd is being held at the California Speedway in Fontana. The Historic class runs in the 6th group and works the 4th. I will be on site after 11:00. I will be happy to help you threw the process.

David Barrish

Steve,

Not this year. There is some sort of ploblem at the top end of the food chain on this event.

However next year is lookinkg better.

Please send me an E-mail address I can forward a letter I sent to our BMW district rep. The San Diego chapter is combining class A and B bassed on decling car count. Having a class for 4cyd cars running on 1 barrel carbs makes no sence, but I have an idea.

davidbarrish at charter dot net

David,

The path to joining is highlighted on the web site: www.solo2.com

I am a member of PSCC, Pacific Sports Car Club. Some of the clubs are based around a specific make of car; GRA based on Corvettes, the Morgan club, other clubs are groups of friendly competitors that enjoy giving each other a competitive bad time.

The SCCA provides the insurance and overall guidelines that the events run by, your membership can be started on a one time basis that will cover your first event.

If you are bring the "02 our next event, May 3rd is being held at the California Speedway in Fontana. The Historic class runs in the 6th group and works the 4th. I will be on site after 11:00. I will be happy to help you threw the process.

David Barrish

Thanks for the info, I hope to show up and sign up for the first time.

Everyone who is within 100 miles of El Toro should go!!! That place is awesome!!! I was hoping to go in July, but that is not happening.

i guess i need to pick a different weekend to come down.

steve k.

Hey David,

I'm afraid the '02 won't be road worthy (let alone autox) until the trans is fixed up and it gets some decent seats in it. Any chance you're coming up for Bimmerfest the day before the next one (May 2?) It always seems I can't make it down on just the weekends they have people running at El Toro (grew up in Irvine).

I will definitely touch base with you next time I can come out though. Thanks for the offer!

David

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.