• Upcoming Events

Sign in to follow this  
PatAllen

my new toy...

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Got it for cheap, electronic was toated but i fixed it now.

I got a scan for the user manual and how to calibrate it. Runs like new !!

no more wheel wobles.

This one has a nice feature called "precision balancing" where it will show more digits after the decimal point so you can fine tune the final balance.

It can do static and dynamic balancing as well, ALU mode (mags),...

Now the question, where i put it ?

its a SUN 1752 manufactured in the 80's

Sun no longer exist and is now owned by Snap-on.

post-119-13667605245038_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Does this mean you are going to start wheel balance by mail? I don't have much money, so how much just for bubble balance on my 18 wheeler?

(I had something similar and before I knew it, I had a garage full of my friends and neighbors showing up for more than just beer and pretzels. The device took up too much space so I kept the weights and sold it and found an on-the-car spin balancer. Much more portable. The downside is the smoke from the tire when the spin balancer engages the tire. The guy I bought it from told me he had it because he was tired of turning lugs and lifting wheels. But he said, for his purposes motorcycles and skinny 356 Porsche and Jaguar wheels, a simple bubble balance was just as accurate and used a lot less juice. If you ever try the comparison for accuracy, please post! BTW, can you fit me in at say 10:15 a.m., this Weds?)

I would like to see that balacing device "on car", is it the old Hofman type that you require to sit on it ?

its for my personal use, and for friends.

Well, apparently, more and more peoples in town knows about me.

Recently, two E46, one E36 and one Z3 went into my driveway for all kind of services.

I own too a carsoft scan tool so this is helpfull to reset check engines, air bags,...

I still have to pick-up that 1600-2 convertible to make some maintenance on it, it belongs to an old frenchman in North Hatley, a town close to here.

I will sure post pictures when i will work on it !!

Guest Anonymous

The on-the-car spin balancer is a hunter unit similar to the one pictured on this site see 8 hp version. http://www.allstates.com/wheel%20balancer.html The unit pictured is just the spinner while there is a head that fits on the rim. It has weights that are moved while the wheel is turning - until you get the desired "smoothness". Then you place weights on rim as indicated by the head.

The on-the-car spin balancer is a hunter unit similar to the one pictured on this site see 8 hp version. http://www.allstates.com/wheel%20balancer.html The unit pictured is just the spinner while there is a head that fits on the rim. It has weights that are moved while the wheel is turning - until you get the desired "smoothness". Then you place weights on rim as indicated by the head.

How accurate is it ? can you realy perform high precision tire balancing with it ?

Guest Anonymous
How accurate is it ? can you really perform high precision tire balancing with it ?

Hard to answer your question. I think it can be very accurate if used by the right hands. But each method has its pros and drawbacks.

Spin balancing, on the car, will let you balance the entire assembly of rotating parts and this includes not only the tire and wheel, but also, the brake rotor/drum and hubs. It can be used to balance otherwise hard-to-cure issues. One of the problems with spin balancing on or off the car is it doesn't account for belt separations of irregular tread. These can sometimes show up by just looking at the tire being spun, and you can sometimes true the tire to resolve what seems to be a simple out-of-round condition. But often a tire will look true and only prove out of round when it is put under a load. This typically does not occur on the newer more expensive tires. But it does happen. Take a look at this approach to the problem: http://www.gsp9700.com/ .

This is not to say each balancer can't do its job, it's just that each has its apparent limitation. I do not know much about your balancer, but I would bet it gets less accurate when you get to super big rims or heavy truck tires. I think there are still a few old schoolers that get by with the motorcycle gravity balancers also pictured on one of the sites. BTW, I can remember a time when my brothers raced Formula V's. Bubble balance or a simple string in the middle of a cone spindle, supporting the wheel and tire, was all that was used to statically balance tires. Tires were thinner, and things were much simpler and less expensive then. A few folks would use a similarly lugged rear wheel drive open differential car to double check or fine tune the balance. They would jack up the car and mount the tire and wheel assembly on one of the driven wheels and use the drivetrain as a spin balancer. A little primitive, but if you didn't see anything out of round or feel a nasty vibration, you knew your wheel and tire were balanced.

One fun thing about your balancer, wait till you see the wattage it draws and the electric bill that follows!

thanks, i am not ignorant to the dynamic balancing, i own a vibration analyser and followed a course to know how to use it. I balanced a driveshaft with it "on the car' to say the least..

The machine draw 20amp, its for my personal use...i dont balance my wheels every morning so it dont bother me at all even if it draws 200amp...

picture while playing with it. i balanced my 2002 wheels down to 0,1

post-119-13667605439267_thumb.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this