fiftytakedowns

FIFTYTAKEDOWNS FANTASTIC GARAGE TURBO BUiLD 9000 + stroker

45 posts in this topic Last Reply

Here's the car.

IMG_0912.jpg

The story:

To keep it short, I wanted more torque and a bigger smile when I pushed the accelerator. The sound of a Turbo, blowoff valve and a popping flame are quite ricey, yet I like it.

In all honesty I really wanted a rediculous non street motor that I'd street anway that revs past 8 grand and has ITB's that stick out of the hood. But I decided to go the easy route for power... Turbo.

It's going in a Tii with some good upgrades here and there, complete suspension and braces, and I decided that I didn't want to blow (another) Tii motor, but wanted to have fun, and make it a learning experience. A good friend I met at A1 imports Marc is building a neat turbo, and as we were talking at the shop he mentioned that he had a pre-built Turbo motor at his shop.

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0353.jpgIMG_0356.jpg

It's quite pre-historic when it comes to turbo technology, but can be adapted to have exactly what I want, without breaking the wallet.

As it sits its a 318 motor with a callaway style /rayjay turbo system.

I will drop it in and play with the tuning to get a feel for the system, then Adapt.

-the volvo 240 turbo fuel distributor, Warm up regulator and Retard canister will allow enough fule for up to 250+ horsepower, but then its the gaskets and such that need to be looked after.

My goal is around 220 Horsepower with the volvo CIS components.

Ive got the motor at home now on a stand, and within the next weekend or two I will begin the Inspection, and highly considering a gasket refresh.

The reason I am not going megasquirt which some may wonder was the convenience of the motor, and the Extra 600 dollars the system would have costs, and even in that part of the spectrum the bottom end would not be able to take what the megasquirt could offer, so it would have been overkill somewhat.

and I dont have time to really TUne every day, and Don't have a windows either.

I will be storing the STOCK tii motor safely so that I can at least maintain the presidence of the car I guess, or to have it readiliy available anyway.

Thoughts, comments, or suggestions to help me go in the right direction? thanks!

that motor is nice, i was thinking of going turbo still on the fence, iv delt with tubos cars and MS and it is a pain

Takedowns,

I like it, I like it alot.... Can you expand on the Volvo CIS system? I have my turbo manifold built but I have yet to start on the other end. I've looked at the MS stuff but there is considerable expense and I really looking for something I can play with that has a mild application. I'm looking for HP under 200, and well unmder 200 would be fine. If I can get into the 160 range I'd be happy.

Todd

So is that a hose in your reflection or are you happy to see your motor?? JK.

That looks like a great project. I just bought JakeB's motor a few months ago:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,298700/highlight,complete+turbo/

It's been in my garage for about a month now and I can do nothing but drool on it. I'm moving at the end of the month, so my tinkering time is kind of cut short. Damn, I can't wait to start playing with it.

you sonova--- Im just kidding, I was abou tto buy that motor, but It is kindof a good thing I didnt haha.

That should be fun for sure.

Motor goes to shop this weekend. Then the swap begins.

There are a couple things that might make it difficult.

need to fab a driver side motor mount, because they have different mounting locations.

probably other funny things are hiding that will make this vicious.

...shoulda just went megasquirt...

Motor goes to shop this weekend. Then the swap begins.

There are a couple things that might make it difficult.

need to fab a driver side motor mount, because they have different mounting locations.

probably other funny things are hiding that will make this vicious.

...shoulda just went megasquirt...

its not to late to change your mind

Guest Anonymous

I would have to transplant this motor into the car anyway.

The Tii block that is in it would need a new water pump front timing cover. pistons, manifolds etc..

Although the motor is a 1.8 that is going in the car. It is pretty much ready to go. I finally sourced out the volvo fuel distributor and otehr parts for roughly 100-150 bucks.

it comes down to 900 for motor, 200 for wideband, 150 for fuel delivery.

I guess 1250 isnt too bad for a turbo motor.

Then I'd slap on 700 for megasquirt, which the motor probably coulndt take without meth injection or alternate cooling. etc.

Ahhhhh my head is spinning.

The reason i have gone for system that is controled by an ecu is because i can have more control over my engine . the ecu i have basically lets me have three engines under one hood, as it can store three maps

so i could have one map for every day driving say 220 bhp on the first map then the second map maybe could be for driving on the highway, so this map could be lean giving me better fuel economy on a long run . then the last map could be the full 300 bhp for when i want more fun or for a track day .

so what i am getting at is that the megasquirt done properly should give you more controll over your turbo engine than the old volvo CSi system which is basically an old Bosch K Jetronic injection system. So if your engine can runs ok with CSi it should be ok if not better with megasquirt

Did you see this post . http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,323756/

Im thinking about Swapping all the parts from the motor onto my rebuilt tii block. which can remain in the car.

The 1.8 head on the 9.5 pistns should yield less compression.

Should I just swap the motors completely?

1.8 L vs 2.0 liter?

camera is less of charger, so it is quite impossible to take pictures

Mot was taken to shop, and Looked at for hours while I was pretty much staring at it, kindof hopelessly, until I decided to bite.

First I cleaned all of the componests, and all the deathly Sawdust taht my pop poured in our garage . Making sure it didnt get into any of the components was crucial, but I was lucky.

I read the CIS manual, and noticed teh pump was connected all backwards, so after examining otehr cars with it connected, I found out the problem and fixed it.

the wiring was quite a nightmare at first. I had the WROnG diagram from a shop which made everyhting I was doing seem impossible, but after getting the correct diagram it was like a slap in the face of simplicity.

I connected the oil drain to the turbo, and order some turbo Volvo CIS components. as well as a wastegate, and a wideband.

next week, the motor comes out and the turbo goes in!