• Upcoming Events

Guest Anonymous

ALPINA Gruppe 2......

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Been pretty busy lately, with that I have toiled away with the left front fender. Demo'd nearly all of the old skin off, re-skinned it, and have it back to rough finish. 80 grit paper which is what I use to get the filler and resin to where I want it leaves pretty deep scratch marks, so now it gets primer, then essentially skim coated with filler and sanded back with 180 then 220, 400 etc., then painted and a similar deal. Because I have limited space in my garage, I re-mounted all of the wheels, put it back on the ground and then out into the street and ultimately backed into the garage - so now I have some room to work on the left side. I don't project any more when things will be "done" since time is at the mercy of my work and family (it will be done when it is done. Needless to say I am very happy with the shape I have achieved as related to the original item.

361992770.jpg

361992773.jpg

I work on the same schedule! As a result, I haven't driven my car in 7 years :-)

That's a holly shit amount of rubber your putting on the ground. What are your engine plans?

Guest Anonymous

Schnitzer twin cam 16 valve, slide throttle, dry sump.......

www.picturetrail.com

user name: 74fuely

One square inch at the time, and you will be done. It is a matter of getting into a rythm , not precisely a schedule, but not letting a week go by, without at least advancing. The work is incredible, you could write a book about this. It defines the word "unique". It is an inspiration for all of us, including myself! I don't know how you do it. It is truly amazing the work you have accomplished thus far!

Guest Anonymous

don't believe. The story on that car as I know it or at least was told by the boys at Hardy & Beck (H&B BMW, Berkeley, CA). This was what was called the "Hardy & Beck BMW 2002" which was based on a 1975 bmw 2002. Allegedly some fellow back in the 70's (1978/1979) settled a fairly substantial claim from a MUNI (SF public transportation) accident of some sort and commissioned Hardy & Beck (with some of that money) to completely outfit that 2002 with every bell and whistle available. It had 6/7x15" ALPINA wheels wtih Pirelli P7's, CR 5sp trans, 75% LSD, Scheel seats, Turbo Flares, ALPINA A4s Motor, Bilsteing Green Dot struts, Bilstein Rear shocks etc., The car pretty much just disappeared. I actually tried to track it down - no luck. The H&B guys said that the guy that owned it lived somewhere in Sonoma and that he had pretty much let it go to pot literally. An interesting BMW (2002) myth. Great pictures. It was featured in the 1979 Roundel with Gordon Medenica driving it around the Berkeley Hills.

It was featured in the 1979 Roundel with Gordon Medenica driving it around the Berkeley Hills.

Yes, I recall that article and it did not say the car was shipped to Germany and built by Alpina; it was an ALIPINA WEST (i.e., Hardy and Beck) creation. A million ALPINA parts including an A4 four throttle system, etc. Kinda like a couple of tourings I know....

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I seem to recall a few of those ALPINA parts finding their way from my garage to places....elsewhere.....whhile I am glad they have all found "happy homes" in at least one touring I know I sure do wish I had some (all) of them back. Most of those pieces have now doubled, tripled (at least in value) and of course now with the inernet you have interrnational competition to secure new ones from Ebay and or other sources. If the Gruppe 2 car didn't suck every bit of time and money I had, I would be building an A4 clone for sure - they are so much fun.

markmac, what kind of foam did you use in making those fenders? got any links to where i could find some?

awesome!!!

I have a friend with an bmw 2002 with schnitzer 16V head and injection, however he need some parts, can you contact me to my email for help it?

fdovargas@gmail.com

Thank you

Guest Anonymous

I got (or I should say "get" since I am still getting) mine from TAP Plastics, google them you may be able to order from them online (I dont recall), they have pretty good prices. Another place is www.fiberglast.com. They have foam, fiberglass products etc., Short of that google "expandable foam" and you will find all sorts of places.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.