Sign in to follow this  
keninmorganhill

Engine Tin

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guys,

This past weekend was spent tearing the front end of my '76'02 apart for a complete front end rebuild. In doing so, I had to remove a protective "heat" tin from the passenger engine side. The tin in question, sorta' covers the passenger side Idler Arm Bearings. Needless to say, I had to remove this tin in order to replace the existing Idler Arm Bearings. Naturally, the tin was a complete greasy mess. I'm wonder.. "or my question is"... Would you get rid of this tin all-together in effort to clean up the engine compartment.. OR.. would you just clean it up and put it back in? I like the EC better without in there, but it s completely understandable if it needs to be back on. I'd just degrease it and reattach it again.

I'm thinking the tin probably protecta the IAB from heat from the Exhaust Manifold... BUT.. in looking at the distance between IAB and the EM, I'm not sure there's that much threat of heat melting them.

"What are your guys' thoughts on this?"

Thanks

- Ken

Ken,

I removed all the heat shields under the car. I figured it eliminated any chances of this rattling under there. I don't see that it had any effect on the car but improved some weight loss. As far as heat wise, I did the interior with 2 layers of fat-mat and the car is nice and sound.

I'd just leave it off.

Le

1976 model year 2002's were equipped with thermal reactors in the exhaust, which generated large amounts of heat. That's the reason

for the extra shielding for '76.

If your car still has the reactor manifold,I would keep the shield in place.

If you installed earlier manifold/header, then it can be left off.

Hope this helps.

Colorado02 and Draco...

Yeah, that's what I figured. It being a '76'02 California car, I did get to thinking about the Thermal Reactor bit. "The heat from it DOES make sense.." BUT.. I went ahead and dumbed the car down to the 49 State Exhaust Manifold instead.

That said, I DO think I'll leave the tin off. "It just muddy's up the engine compartment, anyway."

Thanks for the tips guys.

- Ken

if your replacing the idler arm bearings(bushings)

then you see that their made with nylon, or some other material

that you should not subject to extreme heat conditions!

clean up the shield and install it - Calif car or not .

Same goes for the center drive shaft bearing/mount

heat shield. The weight of the two heat shields is about 2 oz.

real killer ! a ton less weight than interior gator mats.

just my $20.02 wurth

I too have the same question, however I want to replace mine...Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase one (In good shape)...

Peace and Thanx