• Upcoming Events

752dbl02

The 2002 got a radio today!!!!

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Finally after owning the car for a year and a half as a DD i finally have tunes!!

Just a simple deck is in it right now, connected to two KLH indoor/outdoor speakers. But i was wondering where others have mounted speakers in the front. I know you can use the hat deck and kickboard under the backseat for the rear. I think i remember reading before that there were underdash panels that people used. True?

TIA,

Chris

The original set up was a single speaker in the center console. These were monoral (sp?) radio's remember. It seems like the best way to do stereo is to mount the speakers under the dash in front so as to avoid cutting holes in the door panels.

I'm in the same boat with the 72. I have a set of MB Quartz 6x9's in the hat shelf and wires run to the front but no speakers yet. I have heard that a speaker needs some backing so I'm going to fabricate a can to hold a couple small front speakers. Or, is there enough space to mount a speaker in the kickspace. I imagine I'd be kicking the cover off all the time, but has anyone done this?

I mounted a pair of coax 5" speakers (4x6s will fit too) on the cowl sides up under the dashboard. These were flush mount speaker kits, so I made housings with a piece of 2x6 (you may need two thicknesses if the speakers are deep) and a band saw, then covered the wood with black vinyl upholstery material.

The wood mounts are screwed into the cowl sides through the carpet, and the speakers fastened to the wood. The whole setup can be removed without leaving any visible holes, and give much better sound than mounting 'em on the cardboard underdash panels.

When positioning, make sure the driver's side speaker mount will clear the hood release lever.

cheers

mike

I mounted two Polk 6x9? under the rear seat. The sound is decent considering I'm running a 30 yr old Becker.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.