HBChris

Door Panel Chrome Trim

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

How do you remove the plastic chrome trim strips after the door panel is removed. I expected to see tabs on the back. Thx.

Nope, not like the coupe, Chris. I wish. Best I can tell heat set or some type of glue. I'd also love to learn that I'm wrong...Dave V. in NC

bonded to the vinyl upholstery; I've never experimented with removing from a trashed panel, but I suspect it would be difficult without boogering up the rest of the panel.

There have been various experiments to recover the peeled chrome with Mylar tape, sticky-backed aluminum foil (as used for model airplane buliding, etc) and other, more exotic solutions, but the problem seems to be making the stick on stuff adhere smoothly around the curved sections.

Fame (if not fortune) awaits the person who successfully solves the problem. I sure haven't yet, and it aint' for lack of trying!

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

After many efforts, I finally gave up with the sticky mylar replacements that would not lay flat. I instead sanded the old, peeling chrome covering completely off, and carefully masked around the now gray plastic strips and re-painted them with aluminum wheel paint and clear coat. Granted, they are not now chrome-like, but much better than the prior mess. The strips now looks like the interior trim of of my E46.

Roger

'72 Malaga

I have never had luck with the mylar. I have however had great luck with Gold or Silver leaf on car trim.

The trick is finding gold/silver leaf in that length otherwise you will have a seam at the length of your leaves.