VintageAutobahn

rear seat upholstery kit

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Does anybody know where I can get an upholstery kit for the rear seat of my 71? World upholstery has a kit but it only comes in black and my car is saddle brown so that wont work. TIA for any suggestions

If your front seats are Recaros then I would suggest Aardvark Racing. I recently put in a really nice set from them and it looks great. They also have a good variety of colors as well.

Eric

Are you sure WUP kit is black only? Did you call them? They can match (as close as possible) any colors I believe.

i'd post a pic of fronts for color (there are a couple of variations of 'saddle brown'/tobacco) and send out a cry for a nice used seat on the parts want'd forum...that'll be your best color match and probably a heck of a lot cheaper too

if your seats good, ask them to send you just the skin...save a few on shipping

Try GAHH in California...they have a nice web site. If you call, ask for Cindy. I have been buying kits from them for years...really nice kits and proper for the cars.

Eric

World may have the brown vinyl, but it is different than the 1966-73 pattern. Take a look at their drawings as there are three different variations on the way it is sewn together. Also the type of vinyl used- embossed, perforated, smooth.

If you have different front seats or covers, you may not be concerned that the pattern/type of vinyl is "not correct" on your rear seat.

My collection of experience is that World (used to be XKSS) makes decent stuff and a pretty good price. It may not be the "perfectly correct" material made from original Black Forest naughas, but compared to a 30 year old ratted out interior it will look a damn sight better.

GAHH has a really good reputation and is known to use all the correct stuff and patterns. However, you will pay extra for this.

I guess it comes down to what do you want your car to be, how much are you prepared to pay, What do YOU want.

Hey celk--I am currently redoing my rear seat to match Recaros and I have a black basketweave upholstery set that is in pristine condition---my 1971 2002 has always been garaged or covered with a car cover. It might be a month or two until the project is completed (the covers are needed for the pattern). Let me know if this might solve your problem--Jim in Seattle

Hey celk--I am currently redoing my rear seat to match Recaros and I have a black basketweave upholstery set that is in pristine condition---my 1971 2002 has always been garaged or covered with a car cover. It might be a month or two until the project is completed (the covers are needed for the pattern). Let me know if this might solve your problem--Jim in Seattle