JAS

Shifter Rebuild Question

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

The upper part of my shift level is quite floppy, while the shift linkage itself is quite solild (been under the car and checked). Is it possible to remove the upper part of the shift lever from the lower part without removing the entire shift lever assembly from the car? Want to gain access to parts 12 - 20.

Thanks

John

post-14450-13667605204638_thumb.jpg

Most parts can be accessed from above the trans. tunnel. The lower delrin bushing and possibly some washers is below the car.

The (2) rubber pieces that secure the upper shifter to the shaft are tough to get back on, so you might as well remove the entire unit.

post-8235-13667605206332_thumb.jpg

post-8235-1366760520705_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jim - pictures are a great help. How did you separate the upper and lower portions of the shift lever?

John

There is a snap ring in a groove that holds the two pieces together. Remove the ring, then grab the outer piece and pull upward with all your might! Don't hit yourself in the chin when it pops loose.

One thing I didn't think of is to put a screwdriver thru the round bottom hole and step on it with both feet while pulling on the upper piece.

The new rubber bushings are really tight, so you'll have to use a rubber mallet to force the upper piece over the shift rod.

post-8235-1366760520788_thumb.jpg

Sounds like I should remove the whole assembly to make my life a bit easier, especially when pulling the pieces apart and putting them back together with new parts.

Thanks again.