jafcorrea

question about dimmer control

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Any one knows what color wire on the light switch is for the dimmer control light on the instrument panel?

I would like to connect some gauges.

All my wiring diagrams are at the shop - but you could poke the back of the switch with a test light (if you don't own one - they're *cheap* and essential!) see which wire gets dimmer/brighter, while you rotate the knob. Easy!

HTH!

paul wegweiser

Guest Anonymous

- but the dimmer output pin of the headlight switch is always #58b. The wire connected there runs to pin #4 on the instrument pod connector which powers the dash lights.

Its the same on 6 or 12 fuse cars.

did the 6v cars come in automatic?

If so, there is a bung under the dash that can be used. It is for the light on the automatic shifter. Perfect for extra gauges

- but the dimmer output pin of the headlight switch is always #58b. The wire connected there runs to pin #4 on the instrument pod connector which powers the dash lights.

Its the same on 6 or 12 fuse cars.

So if I connect the gauges lights on the #58b I can dim the light or just go to pin #4? Sorry new here!

Guest Anonymous

Or follow the wires from those two points. Most schematics show a multi-pin connector in between those two points - it might be easiest to tap in there.

If your car's a tii you could tap off the clock light. If its an automatic, you can tap off of the lights for the gear selection indicator as Bill mentioned above.

Even if it is not an auto, the bung is still there. It is a great place to get power for gauge lights, plug and play. Just takes a wire with a female connector! So simple. The bung is what my light is pointing to. It usually taped to the wiring harness under the dash.

Dimmerbutt3.jpg