• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever chrome dip their late model black grilles?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...Late model grills (I'm reading as 74-76) are plastic which can't be chromed. Maybe I'm mis-reading your query? Don't get me wrong-I'm not trying to offend or be a wise ass. Just curious as to what you are talking about because I like the idea of chromed grills too and I've been toying with the idea of doing just that to my early (from a 68? 1600)grills that I picked up a few weeks back.

Guest Anonymous

...a charge is applied to the metallic material that is immersed in a Chromiun solution. The chromium ions are then attracted to the metallic substance of opposite polarity and they bond permanently to it. That concept was learned by me some twenty years ago and I'm sure many technologies have emerged since then, but I always thought that the coating on plastic was just shiny, silver plastic. In light of this new info I would poo-poo it just because I think the end result would look like the grills suppied by Revell for scale model cars-in other words cheap. But on the other hand "Vive la difference" otherwise known as "whatever floats yer boat".

Guest Anonymous

It doesn't work great, but plastic can be chromed. Haven't you ever seen a cheap radio with shiny plastic knobs? Or a '60s-'70s American car with chrome-plastic controls on the dashboard? Starts flaking off fairly quickly, especially if it's exposed to the weather, and more so if the part comprises large, thin, unsupported sections that flex (like the grill slats in a 75mph wind).

I've seen pix of an early-style late grill dummied up with thin stainless.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Check out the link guys - re-chroming plastic is definately possible, so presumably you can apply the stuff to anything that hasn't previously been chromed? Click on the sitemap and 'other services' to read about it. Whilst you're there check out the adhesive wood kits and the smooth brushed silver console on the MX5 (nice). If you blokes have any questions let me know - I'm hoping to pick up my newly re-skinned dash on Saturday,:)

Guest Anonymous

Electroplating of metal parts with copper-nickel-chrome layers is a real technology. Vacuum coating of plastic with shiny chrome-laced material would, as you say, result in a Revell-like appearance. Car manufacturers began using vacuum-chromed plastic interior bits to save money. My '53 Chrysler has real chrome plated metal dash knobs, shifter rod, speedo trim, etc; by the '70s the Revell look had taken over.

I don't think that vacuum coating a grill would look very good or last very long. It's a crummy technique developed for saving a few nickels.

Mike