DennisR

Valve Cover fasteners?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a valve cover that's being powder coated black with the raised lettering"BMW", etc. being wiped off to metal when it's done. I was looking at the original nuts that hold the cover on this morning and now I'm feeling like they just aren't going to complement the new cover.

I've had a couple of thoughts and was wondering if any forum readers have any other ideas/comments. . .

Thought 1- buy a seemingly very expensive set of polished or chrome castle nuts via eBay. Concern- I'd prefer black to go with the refurbished valve cover and this seems like the pricy way to go. . .

Thought 2- Remove the studs from the head (not sure if this is an option) and use allen head bolts/socket screws to secure the cover directly to the head. Concern- will the removal and refitting of the valve cover over time cause undue wear on the head.

Anyone have any other ideas??? Thanks!

I bought stainless castle nuts at the local hardware store for about $.40 a piece.

You can order very pretty rounded topped chrome acorn nuts from an E30 M3, M6, E28 M5 etc, or even PRETTIER (imho) slightly taller flat topped chrome nuts from an E34 M5. make sure you use flat washers under them - they help seal the stud from having oil weep up the threads!

There's a reason BMW used studs...eventually, you'll strip the head by threading allen bolts in and out with every valve adjustment. Think: practicality. I built every aspect of Emily with this mindset.

'can't help you on black ones. :-( maybe some Acura/VW/Audi/other car mfr?)

yeah, BMW nuts are a little pricey for what they are, but in the big picture - big deal? Besides; I'm an unapologetic snob about factory (or at *least* German) fasteners, clamps, and connectors.

Hope this helps!

Paul Wegweiser

Thanks for the ideas. I'll forget about removing the studs and concentrate on finding some kind of castle nut. You are right, in the scope of all the other things I spend my money on for this car, a couple of extra bucks for nuts isn't going to break me. . .

....."How do you go about removing the

powder coat from the raised areas? " =

huge Bastard File

Dennis-

How do you go about removing the powder coat from the raised areas?

I just did mine and used a sanding block and 220 sand paper. Take your time and be sure to apply even pressure.

I spoke to the powder coater today and asked him about the "best" way to remove the black powder coating from the lettering on my valve cover. He told me that they will coat the cover and then, before baking, "very carefully"... wipe the coating from the highlighted areas. Once that's done they set the remaining powder coat in the oven.

My plan is to remove any small amounts of residue ("very carefully") with emery cloth to be sure the edges are nice and tight.

This is my first experience with powder coating anything so I'll let you know how it comes out. . .