• Upcoming Events

TimSullivan

Epoxy Primer

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Does anyone know what grit sandpaper scrathes, epoxy primer will cover. Sprayed some last night and seems to have great coverage. I don't think they had epoxy primer thirty years ago when I did bodywork? I now remember why I left that field.

Thanks.

Just use a grit to scuff if. I think I used 220 last time. I really can't remember. Do a test first. The primer on top of the epoxy will need to grab onto something.

dlm.....

Epoxy primer is just that - a primer. You need a surfacer to fill small scratches. They do make primer-surfacers that do both and thats what most people probably use over a painted surface. If its over bare metal or fiberglass, a couple of coats of epoxy primer first is best. If you're using modern urethane paint, a urethane primer-surfacer is best. Be warned though - neither is cheap. My PPG urethane primer-surfacer was ~$200/gal. and this was several years ago.

IMHO as an infrequent amateur painter. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Steve

unless you are doing body work (bondo) the idea is to get the panel ready for paint, then either shoot your 2k primer or paint over it...the only reason that you'd sand epoxy is if you wait too long to top coat it...then it's only necessary to lightly scuff it just to give it a tooth for a mechanical bond

current wisdom is that you shoot the bare metal with epoxy, then do your body work (bondo) over it

EPOXY PRIMER ISNT REALLY NEEDED WITH THE ADVANCEMENTS IN BONDO. NEW BONDO LIKE RAGE GOLD OR RAGE EXTREME HAVE CORROSION PROTECTION IN THEM THERE FOR YOU CAN SPREAD BONDO RIGHT OVER CLEAN BEAR STEEL. I PERFER TO USE DUPONT PRODUCTS ON ALL MY CARS. THE 4 TO 1 PRIMERS AND CLEARS ARE REALLLY EASY TO MIX AND DON’T NEED ANY REDUCERS. PAINT IS JUST LIKE ANYTHING ELSE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. IF YOU TRY TO SAVE A FEW BUCKS ON PAINT YOU WILL REGRET IT LATER.

HERE ARE SOME DUPONT PRODUCT NUMBERS OF THE CLEAR AND PRIMERS WE USE IN OUR SHOP

BASECOAT: CROMABASE

CLEAR: G2-7779S

PRIMER: 7704S

ACTIVATOR: 7765S

YOU SAND YOUR BONDO IN 36 GRIT THEN 80 AND FINISH IT IN 150 GRIT THEN PRIME OVER THAT. SAND YOUR PRIMER WITH 220 THEN 320 ALL DRY AND FINISH IT ALL OUT IN 600 GRIT WET. THEN YOU ARE READY TO PAINT.

HOPEFULLY THIS LITTLE CRASH COURSE ON PAINTING WILL HELP A FEW. IF ANY ONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS I AM MORE THEN WILLING TO HELP

Not sure if you saw the thread a while back regarding various ways to fill body holes from reflector and trim deletes. In your experience, do you recommend a method/product that does not involve welding or invite future rust? TIA!

If you are saying you have scratches in existing paint or primer, depending on how deep they are you should sand it down as much as possible with out going thru to metal and then apply your primer. 2K high build- urethane- whatever you like. I would only use epoxy on bare metal or a new panel that you want to cover first before you start working the finish. PPG epoxy when used on bare metal is as good as it gets. Some prefer self etching primers. On dents some of the new fillers do stick just as well as epoxy if you need to fill in dents first.

dlm

SOT but I've had good like with Nason (dupont) epoxy, cheap and works great, sprays pretty well. I've even thinned it and used it as a sealer.

Matt

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.