• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to clean the engine bay?

jrhone

I have some basic dirt there....its dull....I wanna put a bit of a shone in the bay...best way? Should I just carefully wash it out with normal car wash soap? Spray wax? Power wash? Thanx....

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I have some basic dirt there....its dull....I wanna put a bit of a shone in the bay...best way? Should I just carefully wash it out with normal car wash soap? Spray wax? Power wash? Thanx....

You can if you be careful to not let the dizzy, and electronics ect get wet.

I do it all the time at the autoshop that i work at.

Unless there is some reason that i am unaware of, you should be good.

HTH,

Chris

'75 2002

Photobucket

If you read most publications they will tell you NOT to wash your engine due to the possible damage to electronics and wire connectors.

To me, that is mainly for late model vehicles that have lots of computer controlled devices.

I've been successful using a garden hose with spray nozzle set on "shower" to lightly rinse the engine compartment, then use some soapy water and wash mitt/brushes to clean.

Don't aim the nozzle directly at sensitive areas such as the distributor and carb./throttle body.

Don't let the water pool/sit anywhere after the final rinse. Immediately start/drive the car to evaporate the leftover water (watch for the spray caused by the fan!).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Guest Anonymous

I learned this trick from a used car dealer who prep'd cars for re-sale. Use Saran Wrap, or other sticky covering, tightly wrapped over the distributor and other electronics (relays and fuse box). Then spray on some cleaner on a warm, not hot, engine, let is sit for 15-30 minutes, and then wash and rinse off by the Jim Gerock technique (above). This works well for me. Good luck.

Roger

'72 Malaga

Blow it dry with a leaf blower. That is how I dry my car. Clears the water from behind the chrome trim, mirrors handles etc.

Do not use compressed air, it blow things and paint off.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

"Oil Eater" is hard to beat. Just spray it on and rinse off. You can get it at some of the auto part chain-stores, some Costco stores and through Costco.com. Cheap.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

The saran wrap idea for wrapping delicate parts is brilliant; thank you for sharing.

This wash works for me when I tackle the engine room, although simple green has done the job just fine for less $$.

31l894kf9KL_SS500_.jpg

and to dry, the same air blaster I use for the motorcycle, although I wish I had thought of the leaf blower idea. Not sure the warm air from the blaster speeds drying up all that much, and you can get a leaf blower for a few dollars.

MT-B3-CD-2.jpg

72 BMW 2002tii Inka, Tip Top

92 BMW 318ic, Wolfgang

07 Mini Cooper, MC

72 BMW 2002tii Malaga - stricken