• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How you know you're REALLY getting old

TobyB

Last night, after work, I had the Mercer onramp to myself...

and I wasn't in a terrible hurry, but there were these headlights

that wouldn't go away right behind me.

I hadn't done the cop check at the light, so that was the first thing I thought:

'Ok, that's it, it's been years since my last ticket,

let's see if I can talk my way out of this one' and didn't lift.

Then I noticed the marker lights- yeah, it was one of us.

So we hit the freeway at about 70, and what do I do?

I think, 'this is a classic example of a 'racing' ticket- and I lift!

And get left behind by a lowered silver roundie.

Bah.

I'm too old- who wants my car?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby B: We think alike checking out the marker lights in the rearview mirror for Mr. Officer.

Other "getting old" signs:

1) The padded creeper isn't padded enough

2) You cringe at the thought of getting out from under the car more than twice to fetch a tool or part.

3) Having to take a nap after washing and waxing one car.

4) Your knees and back hurt after working on your car for an extended period.

5) Your fingers hurt after a long car-wrenching day (for us office workers).

6) Buying a car part, then finding the same part in your "stash".

7) Worrying about how your garage looks

8) Worrying about any damage to posters you might hang in the garage.

9) Spend to much time worrying about having enough tools and parts to take a long drive rather than just enjoying the drive.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Well- if if makes you feel any better... after I finished my first 2002- fully rebuilt, repainted etc with fresh 008rs yoko's I hit the ramp from 520 onto i5 north- full speed thru all the gears- saw the flashing lights in 4th at 6000rpm and got a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly moved back to the east coast.

its all about knowing where you can get away with it.........

Pete

I felt old the other morning. At work, a patient had an infomercial on the tube. It was Jack LaLane pushing his juicer machines for HEALTH!! He is in his 90's and looks like he could kick my ass and about 10 more for good measure. I remember seeing his TV show when I was barely out of diapers. I have gray hair and have slowed down, but not JACK!!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

. . (and nothing slows me down more than driving the VW Bus).

You most likely have never seen (or heard about) the Kawell Turbo Drag Bus that campaigned in CA years ago. Dave and Judy Kawell relocated from CA to TN and still build some incredible VW engines.

http://www.kawellracing.com/racebus.html

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Toe B.....

I feel your pain......

Im coming home from OFest last yr......we did some good tearing up of WGI during our DE sessions.......I was in my r tire'd e30...

on the way home on rte. 17..a nice green 02 was egging me on....70..80.....90 mph........I backed off.......my license is clean ....and I want to keep it that way......

20 yrs ago I NEVER woulda backed off....

hey toby,

Im only 30 and im ticket free since 18.

I too am very paranoid but still have a little fun now and then.

Always be on the look out!

One of these days my friend,

you will see a 76 malaga with a dreadlocked hippie driving.

wave me to pull over and well chat. ;)

or you could show up at one of the monthly alki meets.....id love to meet you.

demetri

reartuck-1.jpg