10 posts in this topic Last Reply

As a part of the test driving prior to Mid America Fest, I got up early this morning and drove the car about 2 hours, I hit few times 110 miles, what a feeling, assuming speedometer was correct of course. It is amazing that 35 years old car can go that fast with no effort. Of course, EFI on a tii engine helps. I am so psyched, can't wait to join the NC caravan to Arkansas on Thursday.

When I was at Thunderhill last month I had a woman come up to me and ask me what I was hitting at the end of the straight. I told her it said 105, but I question as to how accurate it is. She said my car traveling at 105 made other cars that were passing me look like they were going 300mph. She said my car just looked insanely fast doing 105, and all the Porsche and Lotus drivers that were passing me looked like they were traveling at speeds never seen before.

Don't know, probably it is off 15% to 20% but who knows. It is just the raw design of these cars makes you feel like you are flying, the rear view mirror was buzzing like hell.

Don't know, probably it is off 15% to 20% but who knows. It is just the raw design of these cars makes you feel like you are flying, the rear view mirror was buzzing like hell.

No doubt that a fairly slow speed they feel really quick, my old Corrado would rev limit out 5th ( about 160 or so ) and felt like a rock, the deuce at 125 scares the shit out of me.

At the 110 mph mark, what were your rpm's and were you in 5th or 4th gear?

Norm

fifth gear, not sure about exact rpm, but it was over 1 O'clock. I will pay closer attention today. It wanted a 6-th gear.

Actually, with a 3.91 diff, you'll hit the aero wall before you...

oh, wait, I redline at 7500...

Actually, with a 3.64 diff, you'll hit the aero wall before you need 5th.

Or want it.

The cars are pretty stable into the 120's, which is nuts.

But there it is.

My gut feeling is that the rear lightens first, but I've never had

any real problems with it, even with a significant side wind.

t

Car was very stable indeed, but I backed of, scared a little. In my old 528i, 115 was nothing to brag about, you could hardly feel it, but in an 02, you feel like F1 driver above 90, sheer joy. I have an ANSA with straight pipe and no bumpers so she feels really light and very noisy. I will repeat the experiment in a few hours ET, by paying closer attention to tac.

Thanks for the memories CD. I like the original by Jonny Bond. 1960 was the year I got my license.

I miss the good ol days when there wern't so many people on the road. Here in Oregon I could always find a deserted hiway to let my car loose. Looking back, It's a wonder that I never had a tire blow out. I ran on "recaps" in those days. G