Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Am I crazy to consider 175/70-14s?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I'm going to be putting 5.5X14 wheels on my car soon(and probably Sumitomo HTR 200 tires; heard good things about them, and they're cheap!), and I'm actually considering 175/70 tires. I currently have 185/70-13s, and while I'm pleased with them I've heard good things about how '02s handle skinny tires (since that's what they were designed for). 185/60 is my other choice, but they'll just add to my already-annoying speedo error.

Has anyone ever run 175/70-14s? Thanks for your experience!

-Dave

colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

...for your car me thinks. My experience would be to stick with the 60 series for the 14 inch wheels. If you are experiencing speedo error it may be because the 70 series tires you are running are smaller in diameter than the proper 78 series tire. (is that correct?-it's been a long time since I ran stock tires:)Or maybe it's something else-new diff? Anyway, I think you might have tire scrubbing issues with such a tall tire at full lock, like pulling in a tight driveway.

While 02s were designed for narrow, higher profile rubber, they certainly handle better on the newer stuff which wasn't available back then. Ride quality may suffer a little but it's a popular trade off.

Guest Anonymous

...my 185/70s are shorter than the stock 165/80s by about 1/4 inch. That doesn't explain the roughly 10 percent error in my speedo (the diff, speedometer, etc., are all original). Just a quirk of the car, I suppose; others have noted similar inexplicable errors.

The 185/60-14s will be another half-inch shorter, for an overall drop of 3/4 inch and an extra 2 percent speedo error (i.e., at an indicated 60 I'd really be going about 53).

The 175/70-14s would be 1/4-inch taller than stock, or an inch taller than the 185/60s. That would at least help a little bit with the speedo error (about 2 percent less than I have now, theoretically, so an indicated 60 would be... what the heck?!? 55? I'm worried about a stinkin' TWO MILES PER HOUR? I need to get a life and just buy the 185s!).

Er, sorry about that. :-)

But has anyone ever actually run 175/70s? Now I'm just curious.

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

the best comparison is "revolutions per mile." This info is usually available from the tire mfg or off a site like Tire Rack's. Try and find a tire as close to the revs/mile as the stock 165/80x13 that came on the car originally. As for speedo error--if your odometer is accurate, an optimistic/pessimistic speedo is a problem with the instrument itself, not the tire size.

Cheers

Mike